Home Open Account Help 172 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > U.P. E-Units?

Date: 01/15/09 10:19
U.P. E-Units?
Author: SteveD

When was last time they pulled officers' special or other special streamliner? Are they temporarily out of service for any reason?

Date: 01/15/09 10:41
Re: U.P. E-Units?
Author: dan

ols last year , 2007, whole series of trips

Date: 01/15/09 11:09
Author: UPTRAIN

That was almost a year and a half ago. I've heard how they don't perform too well out west at high elevations since they don't have turbochargers, and if it's not the Chicago area, it seems UP would just assume not to send their heritage fleet power to the eastern and southern part of the system, with the exception of the 6936's two month long meander in early 2007.
Pump

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ols last year , 2007, whole series of trips

Date: 01/15/09 11:28

In 2007 they did have some problems, and their traction motors cases were all banged up, they were derailed somewhere. But others have said that they need to complete another e to have enough power for a fair sized train. Sometimes they get requested and there is a failure to communicate the request as well. Lack of dynamic brakes, worries about cold weather running, have derailed other trips. I miss them, the OLS trips were a short consist. Also UP likes to fly the flag, then there are the heritage units, getting a lot of action as of late.

Date: 01/15/09 14:56
Author: up421

Dan,

You mentioned the E's lack dynamic brakes.

The units were originally built with dynamic brakes in the 1950's. The 951 still had functional dynamic brakes when it visited Los Angeles Union Station for the 50th anniversary. All three units still retain the 48" dynamic brake fan housings on all three units.

When were the dynamic brakes removed from the E units?

Bob

dan Wrote:
> Lack of dynamic
> brakes, worries about cold weather running, have
> derailed other trips. I miss them, the OLS
> trips were a short consist. Also UP likes to fly
> the flag, then there are the heritage units,
> getting a lot of action as of late.

Date: 01/15/09 15:26
Author: UPNW2-1083

up421 Wrote:
> Dan,
>
> You mentioned the E's lack dynamic brakes.
>
> The units were originally built with dynamic
> brakes in the 1950's. The 951 still had functional
> dynamic brakes when it visited Los Angeles Union
> Station for the 50th anniversary. All three units
> still retain the 48" dynamic brake fan housings on
> all three units.
>
> When were the dynamic brakes removed from the E
> units?
>
> Bob
>
> dan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Lack of dynamic
> > brakes, worries about cold weather running,
> have
> > derailed other trips. I miss them, the OLS
> > trips were a short consist. Also UP likes to
> fly
> > the flag, then there are the heritage units,
> > getting a lot of action as of late.

I was going to ask the same question. They had dynamics when I ran them in 1999, even if they were pretty weak. They are basically a GP38-2 though.-BMT

Date: 01/15/09 16:58
Author: SP4436

Do they still have the other E9B rotting away in Cheyenne or have they gotten rid of it? I remember driving cross coutry and shooting it back in the summer of '96.
Kurt

Date: 01/15/09 17:20

maybe i am wrong about the dynamic, i must be, few years ago the on BOD of dir special the passenger car brakes were smoking,and flaming, in GSC, but that must be because they don't apply evenly, i would think they would have bunched the slack, relied on the dynamics. So that it is good they have them. the 966b is still there in chian , awaiting a rebuild, UP has been trying to match BN's financial performance so discretionary projects, haven't been done, let us hope we do get to see it go get rebuilt!

Date: 01/16/09 06:24
Author: tolland

I'm almost certain that the E units were rebuilt equipped with Dynamic brakes...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds