Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > GP30 in Ontario

Date: 01/28/09 20:17
GP30 in Ontario
Author: oyw

I've seen some mention here of the Arizona and California painted GP30M 3002 used to switch grain cars at JD Heiskell in Ontario along the UP Alhambra Sub but don't recall any photos of it. Today I had to drop something off there and was able to get permission to take a few shots. From surfing various websites including TO, this was originally C&O 3023 and lastly owned by the Fillmore and Western but I am unclear who actually owns it now. Anyone have more info?

-OYW

Date: 01/28/09 21:54
Re: GP30 in Ontario
Author: espeeboy

Even though there is now a TO Canadian discussion board, those anti-Californian Canadians are going to flame you for the plain Jane "GP30 in Ontario" thread title!!!

<g>

Funny thing is, even though I recognized the thumbnail of the Filmore & Western, ex-AZ&CA Geep and am also familiar with all place names and destinations in Cali, I still thought you were talking about some locomotive that must be in Ontario, Canada.

~~~

Date: 01/28/09 22:13
Author: PasadenaSub

I used to work in Ontario, California for much of the 90's. I seem to recall several times where mail sent to us was incorrectly addressed to Ontario, Canada and had to be rerouted (after taking a little detour).

Rich

espeeboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even though there is now a TO Canadian discussion
> board, those anti-Californian Canadians are going
> to flame you for the plain Jane "GP30 in Ontario"
> thread title!!!
>
>
>
> Funny thing is, even though I recognized the
> thumbnail of the Filmore & Western, ex-AZ&CA Geep
> and am also familiar with all place names and
> destinations in Cali, I still thought you were
> talking about some locomotive that must be in
> Ontario, Canada.
>
> ~~~

Date: 01/28/09 22:15
Author: TonyJ

I called the former owner, who happens to be a friend of mine. He said it was sold to JD Heiskell after a 90 day lease option to buy. He added, "As I recall that was the first engine sold out of the group of seven locomotives we bought. I am not a hundred percent sure but I think they removed the turbo and made it into a normally asperated engine."

Tony J.

Date: 01/28/09 23:13
Author: Evan_Werkema

TonyJ Wrote:

> I called the former owner, who happens to be a
> friend of mine. He said it was sold to JD Heiskell
> after a 90 day lease option to buy. He added, "As
> I recall that was the first engine sold out of the
> group of seven locomotives we bought. I am not a
> hundred percent sure but I think they removed the
> turbo and made it into a normally asperated
> engine."

I'm curious if they did. While it's pretty common to turn GP35's into non-turbo "GP38-3's," for some reason almost no GP30's have been so-converted. I wonder how long it will be before this becomes yet another Heiskell locomotive "1886."

Date: 01/28/09 23:54
Author: GRNDMND

espeeboy Wrote:
> Even though there is now a TO Canadian discussion
> board, those anti-Californian Canadians are going
> to flame you for the plain Jane "GP30 in Ontario"
> thread title!!!
>
>
>
> Funny thing is, even though I recognized the
> thumbnail of the Filmore & Western, ex-AZ&CA Geep
> and am also familiar with all place names and
> destinations in Cali, I still thought you were
> talking about some locomotive that must be in
> Ontario, Canada.
>
> ~~~

I'm quite sure OYW would have qualified his title with an "eh?" if he was refering to a Canadian subject. BTW, nice catch there OYW!

KC - is there a Fontucky in Canada?

Date: 01/28/09 23:57
Author: SantaFeRuss

TonyJ Wrote:
-- I am not a
> hundred percent sure but I think they removed the
> turbo and made it into a normally asperated
> engine."
>
> Tony J.

A first for a GP30?

SantaFeRuss

Date: 01/29/09 06:00
Author: Atsf814

Well, to clarify two items here,
(1) nice pic and a great catch.
(2) There is really only one true Fontucky! :^)

Everyone have a great day!

Date: 01/29/09 08:07
Author: cnhog

Actually that unit probably spent a good amount of time in the Province
of Ontario,as run through power on the C&O Canadian Division between Windsor and St Thomas.
I would have to go digging,but I'm pretty sure I could find a shot of 3002 and a few of
her "Sisters".

Date: 01/29/09 08:59
Author: cchan006

GP30's are just so cool. Great shot of the 3002.

Back in January of 2007, I visited Fillmore & Western and took a couple of so-so shots of its sisters 3003 and 3004 in the yard.

And I gotta remind myself the photos were taken in Southern California, in Ventura County, not in Fillmore County, Nebraska. :)

Date: 01/29/09 09:54
Author: Larry576

SantaFeRuss Wrote:
> TonyJ Wrote:
> -- I am not a
> > hundred percent sure but I think they removed
> the
> > turbo and made it into a normally asperated
> > engine."
> >
> > Tony J.
>
>
> A first for a GP30?
>

No. Western Rails has a former WC/FRV/C&NW GP30 still clad in WC paint that has been deturboed. Used by a contract switching operation in Washington. Unit has 2 non turbo stacks which are almost invisible due to the unique carbody. SP scrapped plans to deturbo a wrecked SSW GP30 (would have been SSW 5020 if completed).
Larry
>
> SantaFeRuss

Date: 01/30/09 03:16
Author: chiefyellowbear

The Plant Manager / Current owner had told me the turbo was removed, last time I went to photograph her.

I was impressed with their friendly attitude when I pulled in and went to the office to ask for permission to photograph it and the USAF 1601. No problem! Would love to see more guys like them. They also told me they are donating the 1601 to Orange Empire in Perris. Apparently they're interested in it for it's relatively solid body, even though the pinion gears on the traction motors are supposedly broken. Hope they don't cannibalize it, even though I realize that sometimes that's the only way to get the parts you need.

-John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0871 seconds