Home Open Account Help 161 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Benicia wants to participate, too!

Date: 04/16/09 08:27
Benicia wants to participate, too!
Author: stash

The following from contacts in Benicia, Calif., regarding the UP844 Western Heritage Tour. Excuse the spelling of "Capital Corridor"--they mean well.

+++++++

PLEASE SPREAD THIS NOTICE TO ALL FRIENDS AND GROUPS!

My Dear Fellow Benicians!

I apologize for sending you an email, however, I don't have time to develop and distribute a FLYER!

The Union Pacific Railroad, to celebrate the 140th Anniversary of the meeting of the East and West railroad lines in Promontory, Utah, has sponsored a Goodwill Tour from Cheyenne, Wyoming to Oakland, California. Historic Steam Locomotive No. 844 will steam it's way from Sacramento to Oakland this coming Monday Morning, and should pass through Benicia between 9:00 AM and 9:30 AM. Unfortunately, we don't know for sure!

We have placed a request with Union Pacific to have the train actually stop in Benicia before moving on to Martinez, even though Benicia does not have a train station on the Capital Corridor line.

We do have the Old Train Station Depot where Benicia Main Street is located; but, it shut down as a Depot in the 50s -- 20 years or so after the Benicia/Martinez railroad bridge was completed in October 1930.

So, we are putting up a tent canopy by the railroad tracks with a sign that says BENICIA TRAIN STATION so we can greet Union Pacific Steam Locomotive No. 844 in style!

BRING THE KIDS! There will be SARSAPARILLA for 5-cents a bottle and old-fashioned candy -- 2 for 1 penny! Coffee will be available for 5-cents, along with delicious pastries for 2-cents each. And, the first 50 Benicians that show up will receive an authentic:

"BENICIA / PROMONTORY 140TH ANNIVERSARY GOLD SPIKE!"

WHAT: MEET and GREET UNION PACIFIC'S GOODWILL STEAM LOCOMOTIVE NO. 844
TO CELEBRATE THE 140TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE MEETING
OF THE EAST AND WEST RAILROAD LINES IN PROMONTORY, UTAH
THAT OCCURRED ON APRIL 20TH, 1869

WHEN: GATHER: MONDAY, APRIL 20TH @ 9:00 AM

WHERE: 1461 GOODYEAR ROAD, BENICIA, CALIFORNIA
-ACROSS THE STREET FROM ORGANIC SOLUTIONS
-GOODYEAR ROAD IS OFF LAKE HERMAN ROAD BY
INTERSTATE 680 (There is an ARCO STATION
at the corner of Lake Herman and Goodyear)
-The "Benicia Train Station" will be 1/2 mile North of
Lake Herman Road on Goodyear Road
-LOOK FOR THE "BENICIA TRAIN STATION" CANOPY

Mayor Patterson and Councilmember Alan Schwartzman will be in attendance to hopefully take a photo with ENGINEER STEVE LEE. Hopefully, Vice-Mayor Campbell and Councilmembers Hughes and Ioakimedes, and other dignitaries will attend as well -- I haven't heard from them as yet!

NOTE: The train tracks are separated from the vacant lot by a gulley that's 20 feet wide; so, attendees are requested to stay on the vacant lot and to stay away from the tracks AT ALL TIMES! A photo is attached to this email!

Date: 04/16/09 10:43
Re: Benicia wants to participate, too!
Author: TCnR

Is this between the Jack-in-the Box and the entrance to the Mothball Fleet?
If so it would be near the new housing developments and that road that connects to I-80 and Vallejo, if not it might be a good spot to go duck hunting.

Date: 04/16/09 11:23
Author: MarinCommuter

I know the road you're talking about. The site is just east of that highway exit, south side of Interstate 680.

Date: 04/16/09 12:35
Author: SteveD

Copy writer might want to check facts before distributing info.
Joining of East and West at Promontory was May 9, rather than April 20, even if that is date of passage of steam train this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/09 12:44 by SteveD.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0571 seconds