Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > FedEx on BNSF

Date: 05/23/09 14:19
FedEx on BNSF
Author: StStephen

Took these yesterday afternoon at the HWY 138 Jct with I-15. Shows FedEx trailers on westbound BNSF intermodals. Are these empties/repositions or is BNSF picking up FedEx traffic? Hope so!

Last photos show the "Alray Docent"...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/09 14:58 by BruceDGillings.

Date: 05/23/09 15:00
Re: FedEx on BNSF
Author: truxtrax

The question is, which FedEx.........parcel, ground, national LTL or LTL regional?

Butch

Date: 05/23/09 15:03
Author: qnyla

FedEx Ground and FedEx National have been handled by BNSF into and out of San Bernardino for a few years now.

Date: 05/23/09 15:04
Author: 1stcajon

Probably just new trailers being sent west, not FedEx traffic. Foamers got real excited seeing some TOFC FedEx pups a few years ago,

Date: 05/23/09 15:06
Author: StStephen

I was able to see "Ground" on one of the trailers, couldn't see any others.

Date: 05/23/09 15:11

1stcajon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Probably just new trailers being sent west, not
> FedEx traffic. Foamers got real excited seeing
> some TOFC FedEx pups a few years ago,

This is actual FedEx freight as mentioned in previous posts. I have seen train lists and I know crew members who work on the trains that carry the FedEx trailers. This has been going on for at least 2 years, maybe 3.

Date: 05/23/09 15:12
Author: Anonymous User

Picture #2 has a FedEx Ground trailer, FYI.

Date: 05/23/09 15:17

As an example, currently the Z SBDWSP1 23A has about a dozen FedEx Ground trailers destined for Chicago and beyond, and the Z SBDALT9 23A has about a half dozen FedEx National trailers headed for Texas. All are listed as loads.

Date: 05/23/09 16:07
Author: mearsksealand

This image was taken on October 24, 2008 at Curtis Hill Oklahoma---FEDEX Ground

Dale Smith

Date: 05/23/09 16:22
Author: needles_district

I have seen FedEx trailers moving east and west. Granted, some trailers maybe new trailers being delivered, the large majority are not. FedEx trailers are being handled by BNSF, just like the UPS trailers. On this forum and others, for whatever reason, some people are finding this hard to accept.

Date: 05/23/09 18:48
Author: NEEBAR

Fed Ex national LTL built a large distribution facility at devore and does ship intermodal with BNSF.

Date: 05/23/09 19:59
Author: gmojim

The trailers with the green logo are Fed Ex Ground trailers and the red and blue logo are Fed Ex National LTL or Fed Ex Freight trailers. They all use railroad intermodal all across the US.
Fed Ex Express, the air freight division does not put their trailers on the trains, but they have used intermodal in peak season for a small volume of Fed EX Express freight where the schedules can be met.
Fed Ex Ground has a fleet of new trailers that are speced for intermodal service with lift pads and strong side rails for railroad intermodal service. Fed Ex National LTL also has some trailers speced this way.
Fed Ex Ground uses CN and NS on eastern railroads.

This is Fed Ex revenue business with Fed Ex freight loads on the trailers. Just like UPS uses intermodal.

The idea that they are all empty or new trailers is not true. Some new trailers may move on intermodal, but that is only a one time move from the factory.

The intermodal company I work for hauls empty Fed Ex Express aircraft containers to Memphis when they are out of balance. We use EMHU containers on NS and UP.

gmojim

Date: 05/23/09 20:11
Author: GP30Frank

You can see both ground (Green) and air (Red) on both the Dunsmuir cam (UP) and the Tehachapi cam (BNSF) regularly.

Date: 05/23/09 20:43
Author: Boomer

Just to clarify, UP does handle some FedEx biz in certain lanes, although BNSF still has the majority of it overall, as they do with UPS/JB HUNT/Schneider.

Date: 05/23/09 22:05
Author: Indecline

2008 on either the Z-PTLCHC or the Z-CHCPTL up in the great Northwest.

Date: 05/24/09 10:02
Author: krapplem

This should put an end to the "FedEx NEVER ships anything by rail" myth. But knowing TO, a few will persist in spreading the myth for years to come. For some people it would take a FedEx unit train derailing in their back yard with FedEx packages spilling into their living room to convince them and even then, maybe not.

Date: 05/24/09 10:28

krapplem Wrote:
For some people it would take a FedEx unit
> train derailing in their back yard with FedEx
> packages spilling into their living room to
> convince them and even then, maybe not.

Probably not - there would still be unbelievers...<G>

Date: 05/24/09 10:29
Author: Anonymous User

"The truth is out there" -- Fox Mulder

Date: 05/24/09 10:30

smitty195 Wrote:
> "The truth is out there" -- Fox Mulder

Somewhere...

Date: 05/24/09 10:56
Author: Chief409

I can't see how the myth that FedEx Ground never ships by rail got started. I've tracked many a FedEx Ground shipment and seen how the route follows the Transcon for shipments from say, Atlanta. And all the intermodal shippers use the UP I-5 Corridor. Those are the two I'm familiar with.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds