Home Open Account Help 205 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Partially Cooked Pumpkins

Date: 08/18/09 17:25
Partially Cooked Pumpkins
Author: MacBeau

Among the eastbound parade that climbed through CP Walker on Cajon Pass Saturday morning was this collection of overseas containers with an interesting trio of Crash-9’s in various shades that included a recent burn victim, one a little less recent, and if the trend holds true, a future burn victim. The Warbonnet as part of the DPU was a nice touch.
Be of good cheer,
—Mac

Are the GEVO's considered flammable?

Date: 08/18/09 21:41
Re: Partially Cooked Pumpkins
Author: SPGP9

The problem with the GE's is their external fuel hoses that connect along the outside of the cylinders. They are hoses rather than steel tubing, and, just like the radiator hoses on your car, they get old, or heat damaged and spring leaks. With the high heat that can exist in the engine compartment, the evaporating fuel becomes a volatile gas and can ignite, jumping back to the source of the leak. The fire is then localized at the fuel source and blisters the carbody paint in that area. I think the newer GE's have tubing versus the hoses, but since I'm not currently working, I'd have to check it out.

EMD fuel tubing is internal on the older engines, and external on the newer 710's. Yet it is steel tubing that connects to the unit injectors either by a paired set of fuel lines, or by individual flexible steel hoses on the newer SD's. I've frequently seen the burnt GE's during my career, but rarely seen an EMD catch fire. They can, just haven't seen it that much. EMD problems tend more to lube oil dilution when a line breaks or leaks and fuel mixes with the engine oil. Checking for fuel leaks is a routine inspection item, usually annual. A good nose can always detect a fuel leak on an EMD.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0328 seconds