Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Yreka Western in action

Date: 08/19/09 14:24
Yreka Western in action
Author: espee2

Mr. Fred Harrison inspired me to go check out the car storage situation on the Yreka Western on my way to Dunsmuir yesterday. I got some cool early light shots and when I arrived in Montague I was surprised to see the switcher at work!

Date: 08/19/09 14:25
Re: Yreka Western in action

Here are some of the stored cars.

Date: 08/19/09 14:29

Here are some misc shots. One is a triple dome car, static in Grenada, CA south of Montague, next to the old station that has been turned into a private residence and fixed up nicer than the last time I saw it.

Date: 08/19/09 16:50
Author: truxtrax

Am I wrong, or is that 3-dome car loaded? It looks like the springs are compressed. And the car is placarded as well!

Butch

Date: 08/19/09 17:59
Author: sp4294

truxtrax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Am I wrong, or is that 3-dome car loaded? It looks
> like the springs are compressed. And the car is
> placarded as well!
>
> Butch

I believe that car is loaded from what I've picked up. There is something in that car (fertilzer, pesticides or something) and for what ever reason the SP didn't want to move so it got left on that spur and the switch I belive was taken out. Atleast this is what I picked up from a freind who lives in Greneda.

Tim Stricker
Redding/Chico,CA

Date: 08/19/09 18:00
Author: traindude109

I heard from a friend that tankcar is still loaded with a few hundred gallons (give or take) of some sort of pesticide or something like that which SP left a number of years ago.

Edit: Looks like Tim beat me to an answer by a minute!

Date: 08/19/09 18:53

the switch has been removed and the tracks right up to the car are gone. I like how even the graffiti is showing it's age

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds