Home Open Account Help 174 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF officer special in CA?

Date: 10/14/09 19:26
BNSF officer special in CA?
Author: dlocher

Well, I hit Fresno BNSF line at about 7:45 to catch the officer special. It was turning out to be a good day to shoot towards the sun as there was cloud coverage when I got there. Well, at about 8:30, I was thinking I missed it, Amtrak was due in about 40 minutes so I started to pack it in. I looked at the signals for WB and noticed it was now green (it was off 5 minutes prior). I figured I had a shot to catch it, let’s see what comes, it’s too early for Amtrak. Well, about this time I lost my cloud coverage and was shooting the head end into the sun (just my luck), I knew I had no chance to get a good shot until it passed.

I see a BSNF coming….this could be it. I shoot some head on shots in vain into the sun and I see it’s a long intermodal, which made me believe it wasn’t what I was waiting for.

I thought I’d attach some pictures anyways (just to prove I do get out from time to time). The station you see is obviously Fresno Amtrak (BNSF also) facing NE. Behind the station in the background is Fresno City Hall (AKA Spaceship Fresno). The loco in the pics is one of the DPUs (I’d lie if the EOT and ditch lights being off weren’t dead give aways) and it’s a dirty one.

I later found out (thanks warrior) the special left BAK early, which put it in FNO at 7:30…yes, 15 minutes before I showed up).

Did anybody catch this or get shots and any idea if it’ll come back through?

-David in Fresno

Date: 10/14/09 20:19
Re: BNSF officer special in CA?
Author: SF3751

I hope it returns at a decent hour, I missed it as well. Stayed at by the tracks 630 - 745, Bakersfield Sub was dead this morning. I was eating brekfast at 600 and heard a pretty crisp sounding Gevo roll-by, and the train didn't sound to big at all. I knew that was probably it, but still went out anyways to make sure. I had a gut feeling the DS would run it before the first Amtrak (711, which did follow right after that train I heard at 600), and apparently I was right. Sun wasn't even up yet here, so probably wouldn't have gotten any shots that were decent.

Signals were set for a Westbound when I left, so that may have been it too. It was 800, however.

Date: 10/14/09 20:53
Re: BNSF officer special in CA?
Author: stash

Made good time as it came through Hercules on the Stockton Sub. about 10:50.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds