Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Last freight trains over Raton Pass (Last of 3)

Date: 10/20/09 18:17
Last freight trains over Raton Pass (Last of 3)
Author: NH2006

Continued from:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2038532

After meeting Amtrak #3 (with the Pacific Patrol in tow) while I was in a terrible spot for pictures, the empty well train put their cars together and headed back to Raton to pick up a few more sets of empty wells to complete their full complement.

As I always remembered northbounders (railroad east) this time of year were very difficult to shoot, especially something with just empty well cars.

Date: 10/20/09 18:21
Re: Last freight trains over Raton Pass (Last of 3)

The nice part was that they back in to the yard and I was able to leisurely get some great shots with Raton and the northern desert of New Mexico in the background..I raced off to Wootton Ranch only to wait for an hour for them to cross the Pass again.

Date: 10/20/09 18:25

As the light was failing me, I had a difficult choice. Chase the empty well train or wait for a geometry train behind it. As the shadows were getting deep across the canyon below, I decided to go back to Raton for the geometry train. They took their time even though #4 was soon to overtake them, and so I was forced to shoot out of the shadows anyway.

Date: 10/20/09 18:27

I did get a few shots at Wootton that I always wanted and then down the canyon to Starkville one last time...

Date: 10/20/09 18:31

Last shot at Starkville.

I have spent many a hour and day on this Pass. I will really miss these trains and I hope that this isn't really the end.

Epilogue:
Curiously enough, the next day in Fort Collins, who should show up? BNSF 8260 but this time leading a H-DENLAU!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/09 22:20 by NH2006.

Date: 10/20/09 19:34
Author: sd39

Your photo story is very interesting.. I grew up in Raton and every bit of the scenry is alive with memories! Even the farmland in the first photo's is full of family lore! The mountains in the background were a favorite hunting area..

Nothing like working a loaded train over the pass! Lots of challenges! Even in modern times.. How many hours have I stood on that platform in Raton waiting for a train.. Even notice the AT&SF mail box! I think of all the business that used to be to the south of the depot. The SLRMP that had its depot right there as well! How many times did we stand, as kids, just to the south of that curve at the end of the yard and put our dimes and pennies on the rail to see if they were any more smashed today than yesterday!

Raton was many towns. And railroading was one of them! Sad to see it finally come to an end..

Great photo's all, and thanks for the rekindling of the memories!

Clarence

Date: 10/20/09 19:44

One more question.

If the BNSF sold the mainline to the State, who owns the York Canyon branch?

Clarence

Date: 10/20/09 20:14

sd39 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the BNSF sold the mainline to the State, who owns the York Canyon branch?

BNSF petitioned to abandon it in 2005, and I guess that the state now owns it.

Date: 10/20/09 21:56
Author: SD45X

Owned by the ranchers. Private.

Eeked out the last light on that chase for sure. Geo train crew went dead, cause for delay.

Starkville was sweet today, held up by construction at Trinidad. Had a moment.

Caught that 8260 at Lovell. By luck. pitchers to follow<G>

Glad to see you came, haven't seen anybody else that I didn't bring along. Snow tonight, hope to get some white shots.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/09 21:59 by SD45X.

Date: 10/20/09 22:13

Dang dude, that's a fantastic shot!

Date: 10/21/09 09:36
Author: eatontm

Nice job NH, good call going for the geo train.

t

Date: 10/21/09 10:37

The local ranchers own it? Well, that is only two families in that area, and Ted Turner is one of them..
It will be off limits to everyone..

What a story that line is. An SP operation to begin with, then no activity for years and years, then brought to life for a realatively short period of time..

Clarnece

Date: 10/21/09 18:19
Author: catalantalgo

Does Chevron still own the mine? Or was it Exxon? My understanding from a conversation with a local at the Colfax Tavern next to US 64 one evening many years ago was that the coal was high grade coal, but expensive to mine. I also think the mine had labor issues which resulted in one closure in the mid or late 90s. Appreciate any insight on this.

Thanks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0827 seconds