Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cheyenne prepares for the storm

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/27/09 16:00
Cheyenne prepares for the storm
Author: Bob3985

I ran across my old partner, Lynn, hostleing the rotary over to the fuel rack to prepare it for the forecasted storm to hit tomorrow. The NWS is predicting up to 16 inches at the lower levels and much more on top.
Bob Krieger
UP retired
Cheyenne

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/27/09 16:05
Re: Cheyenne prepares for the storm
Author: cozephyr

Good planning. Denver has power ready for snow train (two or more locomotives with caboose spliced between them).

Snowfall depends on how this major winter storm tracks across Colorado. Have you done your grocery shopping, Bob?

Date: 10/27/09 16:16
Author: highgreengraphics

Interesting new striping on the plow - is that 2-tone striping on the bottom sill? I have always thought the 2-tone should be used instead of the plain yellow on units, would look so much better than the blend-in yellow, and I think it might still comply with the visibility ruling, would it not? The CNW-inspired Z-stripe on top is nice, too! --- --- - --- JLH

Date: 10/27/09 16:29
Author: WAF

cozephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good planning. Denver has power ready for snow
> train (two or more locomotives with caboose
> spliced between them).
>
> Snowfall depends on how this major winter storm
> tracks across Colorado. Have you done your
> grocery shopping, Bob?

Storm appears to be following the normal southern track flavorable for heavy snow in the Denver area

Date: 10/27/09 17:10
Author: NH2006

Dang, if they really are gonna fire that up, I'd go see it. Better harness the sled dogs after my last adventure in the snow on Sherman....

Date: 10/27/09 18:00

Hey;
I bought more gorceries than I would eat in a week today, haha. You would think I was ready to get called for the plow. I can remember my days on it plowing Kansas and South Dakota and the WyoColo rrd. When we got called we made a trip to the local Safeway with our company credit card and perishable goods and then to the City Market for an ample supply of meat. When September came about I always restocked the diner bunk with canned goods in advance.
Bob
retired UP engineer
Cheyenne

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/27/09 19:07
Author: rehunn

This is all a silly rumor, just because the ice layers in the clouds over Sioux Falls
looked like something out of a science fiction movie doesn't mean that the weather
is going to change.

Date: 10/27/09 19:31

rehunn Wrote:
> This is all a silly rumor, just because the ice
> layers in the clouds over Sioux Falls
> looked like something out of a science fiction
> movie doesn't mean that the weather
> is going to change.

Pictures or I won't believe you...

(BTW one inch of snow and counting, 830pm Tuesday in Fort Collins, CO)

Date: 10/27/09 19:58
Author: mojaveflyer

9 pm... Rain slowly turning to snow in North Denver.

Date: 10/27/09 20:46

At 9pm we have 2" on the ground and still snowing. Supposed to get 5-8 tomorrow afternoon and 3-6 tomorrow night.
Bob
retired UP engineer
Cheyenne

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/27/09 20:52
Author: cozephyr

Snowing heavily in Denver area at 10:00 PM Tuesday evening. We'll likely have several inches by morning - forecast is for 10- to 16-inches when is wraps up on Thursday. Low pressure is still far off in Utah.

Can you see those signals?!?

Date: 10/27/09 22:44
Author: rminer

Bob if they get called out and it is fairly accessible let me know, I may have to fire up the 4wd and digital camera if it is close enough. I'm hoping I get a call tomorrow telling me not to come in, more than likely we'll work until they almost forget about us and then kick us out of the shop! Last ones to leave sort of deal as usual. Anyway if the op for some rotary blower foaming comes about I got room for a couple of the fellas and you. CHEERS! (Or is it Sieg Hiel?)

Date: 10/28/09 05:30

Depending on if they go out and direction will determine the ability to chase. I-80 is closed both directions Cheyenne to Laramie. Usually the railroad runs their taxi service to help keep the tracks open over Sherman until it gets quite deep. And the possibility of plowing the North Platte sub to open it up for service should it close would happen after the snow ends.
Bob Krieger
UP retired
Cheyenne

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/28/09 08:33
Author: soolinehoghead

Come on now guys.....

You boys out there in WY and CO gotta toughen up a bit. Here in MN, 16 inches means we just pour ourselves another Bloody Mary, get out a clean pair of cut-offs and a fresh Hawaiian shirt, and then get ready to head downtown for tonight's hockey game.

As we like to say up here in the North Country... "For cryin' out loud, it's just a little snow...." ;-)

Soo Line Hoghead

Date: 10/28/09 09:30
Author: UP6936

Yeah but out here we get this really fun wind...so lots of drifting in the cuts.

Date: 10/28/09 11:31
Author: Lackawanna484

UP6936 Wrote:
> Yeah but out here we get this really fun wind...so
> lots of drifting in the cuts.

I've seen T shirts that say "Wyoming Wind Festival - January 1 to December 31"

Of course, I see them on people in San Diego, etc....

Date: 10/28/09 12:21

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> UP6936 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yeah but out here we get this really fun
> wind...so
> > lots of drifting in the cuts.

yes, 16 inches quickly becomes 6-10 feet...proof attached (from near Borie, WY)

>
> I've seen T shirts that say "Wyoming Wind Festival
> - January 1 to December 31"
>
> Of course, I see them on people in San Diego,
> etc....

Are they pale and wind-burned? They've escaped!

Date: 10/28/09 12:55
Author: symph1

There's almost a foot on my deck, northeast side of Laramie, lunchtime. Schools & UW still open, though.

Date: 10/28/09 13:26
Author: UP6936

Cheyenne is pretty much shut down. Schools out, while State County and Local Govt offices are closed. Lots of wrecks here its really icy under the snow. Ground was warm and the first couple of inches have melted and refroze. I think the base even was sent home early for this one.

Date: 10/28/09 19:08
Author: rehunn

It's bizarre that the storm is headed pretty much north, it's pushing mid-fifties
in Omaha.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0525 seconds