Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Wisconsin Winter Wonderland

Date: 12/12/09 13:30
Wisconsin Winter Wonderland
Author: rrartist

Saturday dawned with a beautiful pink sunrise which promised at least a sunny day. The first train of the day was a CP grain load #372. It looked like one of the motors was going to flame out as the train came off the Black River bridge and rolled into the early morning light. With the knowledge that the Z-STPCHC had a new GEVO for a leader I made my way down to Genoa WI for a shot of the BNSF #6399. Can you say COLD!!! I do believe the temperature dropped 1000 degrees as this train passed!

Date: 12/12/09 13:38
Re: Wisconsin Winter Wonderland
Author: sooman1

1st and 3rd shots are killers.. good work

bob

Date: 12/12/09 13:39
Author: rrartist

BNSF train V-TACLPC had departed La Crosse shortly behind the Z-STP so I ventured down towards Victory, one to warm up and two, to check one of my favorite shots. The drive into the boat landing was snowed in so I scoped a different perspective. Soon the BNSF #7506 came into town kicking up its heels and copious amounts of snow! I decided as the sun was playing hide and seek to try for one more photo, this being off the Lansing bridge.

Date: 12/12/09 15:14
Author: Yarddogh

Luv that mist that gets kicked by passing trains . . coldddd up there ! 'Dogh

Date: 12/12/09 19:45
Author: cota1992

Great photos..thought for a second that was a Alco in that first shot!
Art in DC

Date: 12/12/09 20:34
Author: coosbaytoday

Nice shots, thanks for braving the cold and sharing them with us.
Was it below 0? Or maybe how far below?
Todd Montgomery
Eugene OR

Date: 12/12/09 21:56
Author: California_railfan

Great shots! Number three is Sweet!

Ryan Dadgari
Fort Worth, TX
Dadgari Photography

Date: 12/13/09 18:49
Author: HomerBedloe

Wonderful pictures; you should be commended for braving the elements to get them!

But I take exception to the "winter wonderland" moniker - after living in St. Paul for 3 years, I believe that is just a catch phrase used to rationalize living in conditions that should be reserved for only penguins and polar bears!

Date: 12/14/09 06:20
Author: qnyla

I'll pile on - number three is really great.

Date: 12/14/09 09:53
Author: jimatsolana

This brings back may memory of college years in Madison, Wisconsin, 9 months of winter and 3 months of summer. Now I live in the San Diego area with 9 months of summer and 3 months or no winter. What a difference. Talk about cutting cold and these shots bring it all back.

Date: 12/14/09 10:01
Author: ColoradoRailfan

All are really nice shots, but I must echo what some have said. That third shot is just really top notch. Made me shiver when I looked at it. :)

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds