Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A train in a island amongst itself

Date: 01/19/10 19:19
A train in a island amongst itself
Author: SDL39

A pair of GP60's and a Mopac transfer caboose await their call to head east later this evening.

Location is Winona, MN. IC&E & CP have all the tracks in their hands in the area. This is the Winona, MN to Adams, WI trainset power. He will run the CP east to Tunnel City, WI, and then on a connection track there a few miles to the UP Adams sub main at Wyeville, WI. The east to Adams. Tonite he will have 43 cars.

He is a holdover from CNW days. I used to catch him with SD45's, SD40-2's and my favorite, the 66xx series SD18's. With a good size train. Grain for Winona, Bentonite clay for WI Rapids, WI paper mills would make up the bulk of his manifests.

Enjoy,

RJS

Date: 01/19/10 19:24
Re: A train in a island amongst itself
Author: mopacturtle

And what a fine caboose it is. Great pic

Date: 01/19/10 22:15
Author: Doubledumb

How often does this run?

Jack

Date: 01/20/10 08:58
Author: mexrail

I'm surprised UP has any business left for the Winona-Adams manifest. Since CP has trackage rights to Wisconsin Rapids over the CN I would think that with the next shipper contracts most of the clay off the DME in South Dakota will be routed DME-CP as well as any other business DME delivers to UP at Winona. Other than to local UP points, I would think CP will gain this traffic for a single CP system haul. Does UP have any significant local industry in its island of Winona?

Mexrail

Date: 01/20/10 15:48
Author: GBSD70ACe

That caboose is a Short-Bay window caboose, not a transfer caboose that is a common misconception. Great picture though.

Date: 01/20/10 19:31
Author: SDL39

I will have to get train frequency. Used to be in CNW days 6x a week. I want to say 3x now. CP crews only haul a coal train up the valley now. 2/3rds of them are BNSF crews and train. THe CP crewed one is a BNSF train as well; coming on to the WI valley line at New Lisbon, WI.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0952 seconds