Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Mystery Photo !! Where is it ?? Want Snow ???

Date: 01/21/10 08:40
Mystery Photo !! Where is it ?? Want Snow ???
Author: KeyRouteKen

Since you guys love to talk about the Weather---
tell me where you think THIS photo was taken and about what year ...

Cheers.

KRK

Date: 01/21/10 08:43
Re: Mystery Photo !! Where is it ?? Want Snow ???
Author: robertwscott

Puyallup, Wa say 1982?

Robert Scott
Rochester, WA

Date: 01/21/10 09:30
Author: cozephyr

Provo, Utah, 1986, Sir James was out of town?!?

Date: 01/21/10 09:35
Author: rob_l

This photo has been published or posted before. Obviously the lower end of the Kent Valley, somewhere in Auburn/Sumner/Meeker/Puyallup in double track ABS territory.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 01/21/10 10:41
Author: TAW

Where is 30 feet behind where I am standing for this one at 12th Street NW in Puyallup facing Railroad South (train is a north man).

When - don't know sure, guess 1990 (big snow that I remember, some clown stole an engine at Interbay and went for a min line cruise I had to deal with made it memorable).

Edit - I was originally thinking of Feb 1990 but other than being a real pain in the No 2 end, the snow wasn't that remarkable. I think it is Dec 1990. That one was remarkable to me because there was plenty of notice that the storm was coming. BN didn't believe in doing anything preventive at the time so there were no snow men on hand (as in the smaller storm in February). By the time somebody woke up and ordered them, they couldn't get to the railroad. I had a crew break a switch machine trying to hand throw Argo - frozen up solid, putting the Seattle terminal down to a single track south of the Coach Wye. I had the crew back to South Seattle and start over on the other track. They timeslipped and the crew office cut it. The conductor sent me the slip when he got it back declined. I went next door to the crew office to talk to the manager by hand. If I tell a crew to do something that has a penalty, you pay them! (etc. - animated discussion) He felt intimidated (the whole idea), crew got paid. I think it was No 12 was coming out of Stacy that encountered truck on the track south of Spokane Street. We were about to get tied into a Gordian Knot. Without hesitation, trainmaster Gil Maling told them to shove the truck until it was in the clear and keep on going. Way to go Gil - he was my kind of rail.

TAW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/10 12:17 by TAW.

Date: 01/21/10 13:15
Author: M-420

That's one of the Seattle area assigned "Almost SP&S" GP38's.

Date: 01/21/10 15:37
Author: MrMRL

Hm, and I was thinking Torrance, CA for a moment. Now that would be an El NiƱo for ya...

Mr. MRL - cold, wet, & hungry...

Date: 01/21/10 15:52
Author: KeyRouteKen

Hi Everybody-- Gee, some of you guys are pretty darn good in knowing your locations.. Yep, PUYALLUP, WA it is... Eastbound freight running along Stewart Street in March of 1989...

Thanks for playing.

Photo from KRK Archives.

Cheers. KRK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds