Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Vegas area RR landmark scheduled to bite the dust...

Date: 03/14/10 12:13
Vegas area RR landmark scheduled to bite the dust...
Author: NscaleMike

Although it hasn't been used for several years (except for local target practice)...this water tower at Dry Lake, NV MP 363 on the Caliente Sub, is scheduled to be torn down some time this year, due to signal upgrading on the former LA&SL route. The MOW department is currently working south from Caliente...installing new signalling gear and equipment.

Date: 03/14/10 12:23
Re: Vegas area RR landmark scheduled to bite the dust..
Author: P

Time marches on.

It's harder and harder to find classic structures like this still around.

Date: 03/14/10 12:42
Author: dlocher

Well, I am glad I got to see that in person before it happened. I think that is a nice spot.

David Locher
Fresno, CA
http://www.youtube.com/learnwithgern

Date: 03/14/10 12:52
Author: zwsplac

Well, it wasn't going to stand forever, but a sad loss it will be. I need to get a couple more shots of it in the coming months. I wonder if the one at Modena will also be taken down? Seems like it's in better shape than the Dry Lake one.

The loss of the signals will also be sad blow, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the current signals last a few more years. It would take an outright MOW blitz to get all the current US&S signals on the Caliente Sub switched over to Safetrans ones by the end of the year. The only current signal replacements going on that I'm aware of is between Carp and Leith, and they may be already cut over. There are other previous replacements here and there along the line, but I figure that future any replacements will be in sporadic sections...unless they they go balls to the wall on replacements. Regardless, mindful that they won't last forever, I will work signals into as many shots as I can.

Date: 03/14/10 12:56
Author: calzephyr48

I think it may have last been used to supply the drenchers on the pig trains heading to Farmer John. How I miss those days! The right-of-way was continually green with pig droppings that the drenchers washed out of the cars. One could always tell when they were passing through Dry Lake!

Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for the pictures.

I believe Dry Lake was a scheduled watering stop for the Farmer John hog trains which ran a few decades ago.

Author: the_expediter

That's where they used to water the hogs on the CLS...sad it's coming down.- Steve

Date: 03/14/10 13:18
Author: NscaleMike

the_expediter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's where they used to water the hogs on the
> CLS...sad it's coming down.- Steve

Here is a thread from a few years back...

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1328449,page=1

Date: 03/14/10 14:02
Author: MacBeau

Nice image of the scene Mike, very nice.
—Mac

Date: 03/14/10 17:33
Author: rehunn

Hey there's always the one down at Modena and in it's case
the whole town is for sale, wye included.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/10 11:14 by rehunn.

Date: 03/14/10 18:38
Author: RustyRayls

Is it the tank at Modena or the one at Milford that is now used as the town water supply? Bye the way, thanks for the info Mike. I'm going make it a point to get out there more often befor it comes down. With daylight savings time providing a little more daylight after work, I plan to spend at least 1 or 2 evenings a week railfanning close to home.

Bob

Date: 03/14/10 19:40
Author: vegasrails

I knew one of the last UP employees assigned to Dry Lake he still lives in the local area but I've lost contact with him.

Date: 03/15/10 11:14
Author: rehunn

Bob, must be Modena because there is no town at Dry Lake.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0431 seconds