Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Some joint track & time work around Spring Hill, KS

Date: 03/22/10 12:10
Some joint track & time work around Spring Hill, KS
Author: JoCoLB

On learning that BNSF maintenance of way personnel were seeing some action today in the vicinity of Spring Hills, KS, on the Fort Scott Subdivision, I decided to head that way. I wasn't disappointed by what I found, although a tie gang had evidently been ahead of me by several days.

What I found was that a surfacing gang was still busy and that a contractor was picking up old crossties, moving from north to south.

An added treat was seeing a southbound BNSF train held up a bit north of town, and later moving southward to pick up about 25 cars at an industrial mini-yard on the north edge of Spring Hill.

The sun was shining bright and the temperature was hitting the 50-degree mark and still climbing while I visited Spring Hill for more than hour. Not bad for a spring day with snow still on the ground following almost blizzard conditions for a few hours on Saturday.

Spring Hill is 30 miles south of Kansas City. The sign for MP 30 is next to the station sign.

Hope I don't bore you with too many pictures...

Pictures One, Two & Three: These show the three engine units on the train that was held up for awhile, just north of 199th Street, before proceeding farther south to work the mini-yard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/10 12:22 by thtinc41ed.

Date: 03/22/10 12:13
Re: Some joint track & time work around Spring Hill, KS

Pictures Four, Five & Six...

Some of the MOW equipment inside the city limits of Spring Hill.

Date: 03/22/10 12:16

Pictures Seven, Eight & Nine...

I couldn't resist shooting some close-ups after the southbounder pulled up to a crossing after plucking some of the cars out of the mini-yard.

Date: 03/22/10 12:19

Pictures 10, 11 & 12:

Here's some shots of the contracting firm's hi-rail tie-hauler as it was near the finish of another load. Lettering on the side of the truck indicated it was from Richmond, MO.

Date: 03/22/10 18:42
Author: Lee_in_KC

Hey Larry, glad to see you got a pay-off. I heard later that the tie gang was further south. They tied up on the Hillsdale City siding. That train you caught is the Spring Hill Local. The "mini-yard" you refer to serves the kitty litter plant in Spring Hill. They go through about 12 or 14 hoppers of raw material a day (does anybody know what kitty litter is made from?). They operate three track-mobiles to switch from the mini-yard to the plant. The Spring Hill Local ties up on Moss Siding, just north of the Bonita Flats Saloon. I haven't figured out how they get their loads or get rid of their empties. Must be a night crew that takes the local into Kansas City to drop empties and pick up loads. The day job also switches the glass plant in Spring Hill.

Date: 03/22/10 19:49

I was wondering if there might be two shifts when it comes to switching at Spring Hill. I saw two units of power parked at Moss while driving to and from Spring Hill. That's why I didn't think the train I photographed was a local, especially with three engine units. Usually, I see only two units of power for a Spring Hill local. That's why I think being a TO member is an education. You learn something almost every day if you follow the discussions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/10 19:51 by thtinc41ed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0687 seconds