Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Ghosts on the Owl Route

Date: 05/10/10 08:58
Ghosts on the Owl Route
Author: ssloansjca

On the morning of Friday May 7 I went to Tracy, CA and went down the Westside Line a bit. In 1996 the SP and UP merged and the California Northern now operates part of the line where the Owl once tread.

But, some ghosts remain along the line.

~Steve Sloan

Date: 05/10/10 11:00
Re: Ghosts on the Owl Route
Author: StarlightHog

What a sad sight to see that former SP GP-40. Number, class lights and original headlights all patched over. Why didn't the UP just shoot it and give it a proper burial?

Date: 05/10/10 12:24
Author: CPRR

To bad the Westside Line could not be extends down south to Taft, then over to Bakersfield..

Date: 05/10/10 16:26
Author: rehunn

Taft is sorta up on a hill, be easier to miss it and just head for Bakersfield.

Date: 05/11/10 00:39
Author: rattenne

Steve

I'm surprised the Cal Northern didn't have a Genset at this location. That's the case in Woodland. Did you see or hear anything about Gensets in Tracy?

Date: 05/11/10 01:25
Author: Fizzboy7

Even with the patchwork, it's still great to see the name spelled out on a locomotive. AWESOME!

Date: 05/11/10 05:33
Author: Evan_Werkema

rattenne Wrote:

> I'm surprised the Cal Northern didn't have a
> Genset at this location. That's the case in
> Woodland. Did you see or hear anything about
> Gensets in Tracy?

Genset 503 was in Tracy when Steve was there:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2186696

The job in the photos above is UP's Tracy switcher coming off the spur that used to serve Holly Sugar (the spur still has a few customers south of 205). UP's switcher serves most of the remaining rail-served industries in the Tracy area, including customers on the remaining stub of the SP main line toward Altamont Pass and on spurs off the ex-WP main at Carbona and behind the Tracy ACE station. So far as I know, the first customer Cal Northern serves is south of Lyoth.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds