Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Wayzata Sub, Speed Question

Date: 07/12/10 08:17
BNSF Wayzata Sub, Speed Question
Author: MarkD

I live along the Wayzata subdivision. A year or so ago, much track work was going on. Word was they were raisint the track classification. The BNSF announced to communities west of where I live (Litchfield, MN.) that the MAS would be increased to 60 mph soon. Naturally, as always happens, the towns west of here got their collective panties all in a wad about it. It made the local newspapers.
I am wondering whether anyone has access to a current timetable or special instructions that might indicate whether the higher speed limit ever took effect.
Thanks for any information
Mark D.

Date: 07/12/10 09:33
Re: BNSF Wayzata Sub, Speed Question
Author: WichitaJct

I don't know about the speed outside Wayzata, but in Wayzata maybe the speed limit should be reduced after that recent derailment where someone had a nice piece of rail visted upon their office. If know if it had been me, I'd a been asking the boss for a new office.

Date: 07/12/10 10:17

Max auth speed west of Wayzata is 40. I think also in Wayzata, but don't recall for sure.
The recent derailment was, I'm told, from an eastward coal train that was leaving the siding just west of town. They weren't going very fast. I'm told, again I'm told, that the DPU power at the rear of the train would not respond to signals from the lead unit. Apparently it kept shoving hard through the switch, or something similar, which caused the derailment.
This is hearsay, but plausible I suppose.
In any case, they were running at a relatively slow speed, which is surprising by the amount of damage.
But farther west, it's fairly wide open space and they should be able to raise the speed if they so desire.
Mark D.

Date: 07/13/10 07:02
Author: theironhorse

1(A). Speed—Maximum
Passenger Freight
MP 9.5 to MP 98.0.................................................60 MPH..........60 MPH.
1(B). Speed—Permanent Restrictions
MP 9.7 to MP 10.9.................................................45 MPH..........40 MPH.
MP 10.9 to MP 13.1...............................................25 MPH..........25 MPH.
MP 13.1 to MP 14.1...............................................50 MPH..........50 MPH.
MP 22.2 to MP 23.6...............................................40 MPH..........40 MPH.
MP 23.6 to MP 24.9...............................................30 MPH..........30 MPH.
MP 39.8 to MP 41.2(HER).....................................40 MPH..........40 MPH.
MP 53.0 to MP 56.0(HER).....................................40 MPH..........40 MPH.
MP 65.4 to MP 67.3(HER).....................................40 MPH..........40 MPH.
MP 72.5 to MP 77.0...............................................40 MPH..........40 MPH.
1(C). Speed—Switches and Turnouts
Up to 100 Over 100
TOB TOB
Sidings and turnouts at:
Wayzata.............................................................25 MPH..........25 MPH.
Delano...............................................................25 MPH..........25 MPH.
Howard Lake.....................................................25 MPH..........25 MPH.
Dassel...............................................................10 MPH..........10 MPH.
Loaded Unit Coal and Grain Trains are not permitted
on the siding at Dassel.
West turnout MP 76.1........................................12 MPH..........10 MPH.

Up to 100 TOB Over 100 TOB
Litchfield............................................................25 MPH..........25 MPH.
Atwater..............................................................25 MPH..........10 MPH.
End of two main tracks at MP 98.0........................35 MPH..........35 MPH.
Passenger Freight
1(D). Speed—Other
Stadium and Minneapolis Jct. handling cars
134 tons or heavier............................................10 MPH..........10 MPH.
MP 10.6, Bridge A1.3, Minneapolis,
cars over 134 tons.............................................10 MPH..........10 MPH.
Stadium, All Northstar Tracks.................................45 MPH..........25 MPH.
Litchfield--Westward movements from
controlled siding to main track at
West Litchfield, until head end occupies
grade crossing at MP 76.4 (Sibley Ave.)...........25 MPH..........25 MPH.
East leg of Wye
between Harrison St. and Mpls. Jct...................10 MPH..........10 MPH.
West leg of Wye
between Harrison St. and Van Buren................25 MPH..........10 MPH.

From the TT Mark.

The Iron Horse

Date: 07/13/10 09:05

Thanks so much, O.H.
It appears they have raised it. And apparently not just west of Litch, but most of it. I have yet to find a train running that speed, though, when I'm driving along U.S. 12.
Mark D.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0653 seconds