Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Hobby Shops in Houston

Date: 07/27/10 18:36
Hobby Shops in Houston
Author: Alexmarissa

I am going to Houston next week and was wondering if anyone can recommend a hobby shop. I'm looking for train books and DVDs on Houston area railroads, and magazines from the local railroads' historical societies, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also, can anyone tell me what radio scanner frequency to listen to for the UP ex-SP Sunset Route through Rosenberg, Sugarland and s.w. Houston? Thanks.

Date: 07/27/10 18:43
Re: Hobby Shops in Houston
Author: SP7615

Ch 37-37 ( 160.665)is currently in use on the Glidden Sub.

SP7615

Date: 07/27/10 20:53
Re: Hobby Shops in Houston
Author: yak23flora

Papa Ben's is the best RR hobby shop I am aware of. Its on Bellaire, about 20 minutes from the SP Sunset route or so (depending on where you plan to be). Just inside the loop.

http://www.papabens.com/

There are other hobby shops in the area, M&M is more general merchandise, mostly RC, about the same distance outside the loop on Bellaire at Chimney Rock. Their heyday was in the late 1990s and I have not been in there since 2004 or so. Was at Papa Ben's just this past week. Loads of magazines and books.

Was on the former Sunset route today in Sugar Land and they were doing MoW work, but caught a patched SP unit looking well weathered switching near the old Imperial Sugar plant. Usually a busy track.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0268 seconds