Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Mojave Oil Cans???

Date: 03/13/03 12:13
UP Mojave Oil Cans???
Author: BJRubino

Hi all,

Does the UP ever run oil can trains from the loading facility in Mojave? I thought I had heard that the facility was closed, but I am not sure.
I really miss the cans going over Tehachapi; that was always a treat to see.

Any info is very much appreciated.
BJR

Date: 03/13/03 12:20
Re: UP Mojave Oil Cans???
Author: daved

I've noticed they still bring some cars in there, and there seems to be some activity at a building that's just to the east of the tanks... I think the track curves back to that. There's also an old baggage car parked in there... I don't have any idea what that's for.

Dave D.
Los Angeles, CA

-Rail Radio Online-Home of the "TrainTenna" RR Monitoring Antenna-
http://eje.railfan.net/railradioonline
-------------------------------------------------
-The Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Photo Archive & E-Mail List-
http://eje.railfan.net
-------------------------------------------------
-The Ashley, Drew & Northern Railfan Page-
http://eje.railfan.net/adn

Date: 03/13/03 12:22
Author: 90mac

The Oil Cans from Fleta (Mojave) stopped running several years ago and they stopped going over Tehachapi a few years before that,because of the pipeline to Fleta.
There is still Oil Can action on the Coast line,I'm not sure from where.
I too miss the Fleta Oil Cans and watching them cut-out the helpers at CP Balboa,it was an impressive train.
Tom H.

Date: 03/13/03 12:48
Author: spfanatic

The Oil Cans were indeed a move. I caught them on film in the early nineties from Caliente to the Loop...10+ locos doin' notch 8 and no more than 25 mph.

Date: 03/13/03 13:50
Author: SteveD

90mac said: "There is still Oil Can action on the Coast line,I'm not sure from where." The Coast oil Cans load at Wunpost in the San Ardo oilfield s/o King City, run to refineries in L.A. Basin.

Date: 03/13/03 14:05
Author: pismopete

The Coast Oil Cans run about three times a week from Wunpost (San Ardo) to Dolores (Long Beach) as the OWPDO / ODOWP. Right now they have three unpatched SP AC4400CW's for power. They always use GE or EMD AC's on the train; and they get a three unit helper over Cuesta into San Luis Obispo for the loads. The cars are permanately coupled in 13-car sets with hoses between the cars in the set . The San Ardo facility holds six sets of cars; so the train usually has either 65 or 78 cars. The train replaced a tanker ship the used to run from Estero Bay (near Morro Bay) to Long Beach; so I guess the enviromental activists are happy with the train instead of a ship !

Peter Arnold

Date: 03/13/03 14:42
Author: calpoly

me too!

so u say three times a week? is that just loads? if so, that means the empties are also 3 a week?

i just saw em go north by my house at 930am thursday, which means it should come down cuesta tomarrow morning sometime

daniel

Date: 03/13/03 16:32
Author: proamtrak

I don't know about you guys, but the BKDOU that ran from 83-94 or 95 was probably the greatest show to see once that thing hit the loop. The neat thing I've noticed is that SP put GP9s on that thing, then go about less than 15 when the scaled back to 4 up front and 5 in the middle of a 78 car train. SP just knew how to put on a show!

Date: 03/13/03 20:14
Author: mojavebill

The old oil can facility in Mojave is now used by a company called Paramount Petroleum to store asphalt. The baggage car belongs to the American Freedom Train guys.

Date: 03/13/03 21:13
Author: sploopconductor

Check my reply to 'Tehachapi Traffic?' posted by SP 8380. Original post at 3-12-03 @ 1030. A little more info. on the cans. Larry

Date: 03/14/03 08:02
Came into L.A. Wed 3/12
Author: brassjournal

I saw them Wednesday, coming in by the Metrolink maintenance facility, somewhere around 10:00 a.m. or so. And they did have the SP units.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0566 seconds