Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF On Muir Trestle - Martinez

Date: 08/21/10 00:22
BNSF On Muir Trestle - Martinez
Author: SN711

Well, a couple days ago, I finally came up with something worth posting. I've been wanting to catch a BNSF train on the Muir trestle in good light, but I don't get very much time to head out there and I am not very familiar with the regular schedules. All I know is that I regularly hear the BNSF trains passing through Martinez almost any time of the night. On Wednesday morning, I had just left a business meeting in Martinez and was headed back to the office via Muir Rd when I came across the BNSF 7917 East with a bare table train in beautiful light.

Okay, so I got really lucky, the train was stopped in a pretty good spot on the trestle. The head-on shots would have been difficult with the train moving. Because of the high fence, I had to hold the camera up over my head and rely on the LCD screen view. The bright headlights were playing havoc with the auto focus and exposure. I had time to try a couple different lenses before heading down below to try to get a different angle. Because of a really large tree, there was only a broadside view available. I must give the crew credit for stopping the locomotives virtually dead center over the street.

Unfortunately, I could not stick around. About 5 minutes later, I believe I heard the train getting a track warrant to continue East. I would have loved to have waited for the train to exit the east end of tunnel #1 at such a slow pace.

Date: 08/21/10 00:29
Re: BNSF On Muir Trestle - Martinez
Author: SN711

Photo #3 is looking north up Alhambra Way where the ATSF Martinez Branch once left the mainline and headed toward town. 30 years ago, the rails were still mainly in place, at least along Alhambra way and where the track left the mainline just outside tunnel #1. All that is left know is a short section rail about a block up the street across one house's drive way. All of the housing built in the last 20 years or so has erased most of the evidence.

Does anyone know where the ATSF branch led to in Martinez?

Thanks,

Gary

Date: 08/21/10 09:34
Author: rob_l

SN711 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know where the ATSF branch led to in
> Martinez?
>

It did not go all that far along the hillside, steadily losing elevation as it went. Ended at some produce packing sheds once it got down to the valley. In 1970 reefers were still loaded in season.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 08/21/10 10:15
Author: Yarddogh

Excellent perspective on those nose pics. Some fresh and interesting views !

Date: 08/21/10 10:36
Author: AlcoRSD15

Nice photos. I have a lightweight footstool that I bought at Ace Hardware that works great for shooting over the fence at this spot. Works great at the east end of Gateley, too (end of Appian Way/Pinon Dr. in Pinole).
-- Eric Blasko

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0445 seconds