Home Open Account Help 71 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sierra Railway: Steamless Through the end of the operat

Date: 09/17/10 17:03
Sierra Railway: Steamless Through the end of the operat
Author: rattenne

The Sierra Railway (the operating arm of Railtown 1897) will be steamless through the end of the 2010 operating season except for the first weekend in October which will feature runs with No. 3 of Back To The Future III fame. The railroad's yeoman steam engine, former Feather River Railway 3-truck Shay No. 2, was pulled from service due to problems with the tube sheeting.

The railroad will use diesel 1265 for the balance of the season, which ends Oct 31st. In addition to the first week of October, No. 3 will be used on two charters, one on Sept 28, the other on October 21 (for those who wish to come up to Jamestown to film/photograph).

It's fortunate No. 2 broke so late in the season as the park has experienced an increase in riders since all of the hoopla in the restoration of No. 3. BTW, the higher ticket price for riding behind No. 3 includes a runby. Seeing - and hearing - No. 3 storm the 3% grade near Woods Creek is worth the price of admission.

Photo 1: Sierra Shay No. 2 - this is the regular steam power. This engine is down for the balance of the operating season.

Photo 2: No. 3 is westbound out of Jamestown with recently restored obs-lounge 2901. SRY2901 is an ex SP car that was built in 1910 and this year marks its 100th birthday. The inside of the car was restored to its appearance and configuration during its tenure on the Overland Limited, including barbershop!

Photo 3: SRY 3 at Rock Siding, running around the train for the eastbound return trip. It's a 3% grade out of this location ...

Date: 09/17/10 17:04
Re: SRY Steamless Through the end of the operating seas

Photo 4: SRR 3 during the shooting of an episode of Rawhide at Quinn Spur on Oct 26, 1960. This is a Jim Wren photo.

Date: 09/17/10 17:43
Re: Sierra Railway: Steamless Through the end of the op
Author: UP9000

Where can I find out more about the special photo trains they are running? The Sept 28/Oct 21 trips?

Thanks!
Jamie Miller

Date: 09/17/10 18:22
Re: Sierra Railway: Steamless Through the end of the op

Jaime

The specials are not photo trains as far as I know. They are charters by local groups and I don't currently have any info on them. I work fire patrol this weekend so I hope to find out more. Your best bet is to plan on riding or photographing the two runs on the first weekend of October. The Railtown 1897 web site has the schedule.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds