Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Transformer Fire Along UP's Kansas Pacific Line

Date: 12/27/10 12:49
Transformer Fire Along UP's Kansas Pacific Line
Author: cozephyr

A transformer fire broke out at Xcel Energy's relay station near Chambers and Smith Roads along Union Pacific's Kansas Pacific line. It was extinguished about two hours after it began. Aurora Fire had 41 firefighters respond to a fire at the relay station at 15102 E. Moncrieff Pl. around 2:15 p.m. on Sunday, December 26, 2010. Smoke from the fire was seen for miles across the Denver metro area.

No trains were delayed in the Sable Siding area account this incident.

Date: 12/27/10 13:10
Re: Transformer Fire Along UP's Kansas Pacific Line
Author: stevelv

That has to be some pretty toxic smoke. Do they still use PCB's in transformers?

Date: 12/27/10 13:27
Author: mraia

Now I know what was burning as we drove out to the airport.

Date: 12/27/10 15:31
Author: jst3751

And in related news, I should be seeing a new transformer going by heavy haul through the East San Gabrial Valley in the next month.

Date: 12/27/10 15:37
Author: cozephyr

New (2010) transformer in use only 13-days according to news report. Hope it came with a 30-day warranty!

Date: 12/27/10 15:58
Author: sptno

Around 10 year ago, or so, they had a transformer fire and power outage just south of downtown Austin, TX.

The fire happened during the summer and it was hot. The transformer was also new. Cause of the fire, an aluminum ladder left in the transformer from the construction.

Having worked for several electrical utility companies, I am willing to be that someone left a ladder in the transformer.

Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 12/27/10 16:15
Author: qman

Only "casualty" of PCB's that I'm aware of were the GG1's.

qman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/10 10:47 by qman.

Date: 12/27/10 17:49
Author: jst3751

atsffan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jst3751 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And in related news, I should be seeing a new
> > transformer going by heavy haul through the
> East
> > San Gabrial Valley in the next month.
>
> Which substation is this heading for?

The main prescribed route for heavy loads such as transformers that are going east or north-east uses Colima and Valley blvds in part. Several times per year these large transformers will come in via the LB-LA ports and be trucked east or NE out of LA. As such, with this transformer toast, a replacement will be needed and there is a good chance it will come in via the LA-LB ports, even if from the manufactor located in Canada.

Date: 12/28/10 19:46
Author: upkpfan

Probably made in Taiwan. upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0639 seconds