Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP 1983 (WP) leading the way into the new year

Date: 01/01/11 21:15
UP 1983 (WP) leading the way into the new year
Author: kklarr

UP 1983 Western Pacific Heritage lead the first MRORV (Roper-Roseville) for 2011. With the fresh snow and clear sky's in Utah it was a great way to start out the new year, as James mentioned a few post earlier it was very cold. After finding out that UP 1983 already departed Roper I got ready and headed west until I met up with the train near Smelter where the Shafter Sub. begins (the old WP main line) so I pulled off near the rest stop to start the chase.

#1 Along the Great Salt Lake at the rest-stop near Lake Point, the clouds were still around early in the morning when this picture was taken.

#2 The sun was starting to come out as UP 1983 rounds the curve on the cause-way along the south end of the Great Salt Lake with the Oquirrh Mountains in the background.

#3 Approaching Burmester where they needed to do some switching but the crew was unable to throw any of the switch's because the switch's were frozen.

Date: 01/01/11 21:30
Re: UP 1983 (WP) leading the way into the new year

#4 West Burmester the crew also tried throw a switch at this end of the small yard but too was frozen so they took the train west to Timpie where they were able set out the cars they needed to for the local to switch.

#5 Approaching Timpie with the Great Salt Lake and the Oquirrh Mountains in the background and just past the Oquirrh Mountains the Wasatch Mountains are visible.

#6 Near Low the main line curves along the Cedar Mountains with the Lake Side mountains in the background west of the Great Salt Lake.

Enjoy,
Kerry Klarr

Date: 01/01/11 21:34
Author: mojaveflyer

Wow... Nice series of shots! How were the roads?

Date: 01/01/11 21:43

Thanks, the free-ways were mostly clear with little ice on them in some places, almost all of the other roads were snow packed and the dirt roads were frozen solid so it made it easier to drive up the hills.

mojaveflyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow... Nice series of shots! How were the roads?

Date: 01/01/11 22:21
Author: GrandeGold

Fantastic work, Kerry. I stayed up late hoping to see your shots tonight and you came through. My favorite shot is #5 with the birds eye view of the vast Great Salt Lake basin. If you look closely, steam appears to be raising from the tall stack at Garfield. All of them are really great, Kerry. Thanks for posting.

James

Date: 01/01/11 23:13
Author: cchan006

kklarr Wrote:
> #6 Near Low the main line curves along the Cedar
> Mountains with the Lake Side mountains in the
> background west of the Great Salt Lake.
>
> Enjoy,
> Kerry Klarr

That's my favorite, #6. I also like the funky morning clouds on #1. I wonder if the SD40-2 will make it into California? Thanks for sharing the great photos!

Date: 01/02/11 00:01
Author: sacrailfan

Wow, you done good! Love all that snow.

Date: 01/02/11 00:45
Author: RustyRayls

Nice work Mr. Klarr!! It looks like the "Burrrr" factor was quite high out there. Thanks for braving the elements and sharing with us.

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 01/02/11 03:11
Author: railfan

Nice shot near Low !

John

Date: 01/02/11 07:51
Author: Yarddogh

Simply fabulous location views . . excellent photography capturing those
mountains in the background.

Date: 01/02/11 08:02
Author: lotharb

I really enjoy the last 2 shots. Great work. I've never been along the tracks west of SLC to Reno. Sure hope to do it some day. Maybe 2011 will be kind. Happy New Year, all.
Lothar
Corinth, TX

Date: 01/02/11 08:13
Author: DJ-12

#6 is IOTD material. Thanks for sharing!

Date: 01/02/11 18:47
Author: cchan006

cchan006 Wrote:
> I wonder if the SD40-2 will
> make it into California? Thanks for sharing the
> great photos!

That SD40-2 was an SD60, UP 2236, and it made it into California.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0721 seconds