Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cajun Country rail

Date: 01/24/11 16:58
Cajun Country rail
Author: tevillo27

I'm going to spend a weekend in SW Louisiana next month and might have some time on a Sat or Sun morning for railfanning. What levels of rail traffic can I expect to see on the east-west line that goes through Lake Charles and Kinder and from Lafayette southeast through New Iberia? Thanks in advance.

Date: 01/24/11 22:32
Re: Cajun Country rail
Author: calhog

First of all, I'm envious of you getting to be in that part of the country. Take advantage of the great music and food. Last time I was there, which was a few years ago, traffic wasn't great on either line, but the ex SP line, which is now BNSF, probably saw the most action and includes Amtrak's Sunset Limited. Wish I could be of more help. Have a great time.

Date: 01/25/11 11:32
Author: Jason-Rose

Check out Long Leaf if you have time. It's well worth the visit. And a UP line runs right through the town.

Official Website:
http://forestheritagemuseum.org/

My Website:
http://grande.smittyshouse.net/Long-Leaf/long-leaf.html

Photo 1) FC&G #4 near the Engine House
Photo 2) FC&G #4 at the Commisary. UP main on the left.
Photo 3) The Planer Mill at night.

Jason Rose
Spring, TX
Rio Grande Explorations

Date: 01/25/11 15:25
Author: ngfan

Great Shots Jason!! Thanks for sharing. RU going over for a work session this year??

ngfan

Date: 01/25/11 16:43
Author: Jason-Rose

Thanks Larry.

Yes, I'm sure I'll get over there a few times this year. It's the only place near here that will let me play with the toys!

Jason Rose
Spring, TX
Rio Grande Explorations

Date: 02/03/11 16:28
Author: tevillo27

I actually spent most of my time around the Mississippi and Baton Rouge. I'd driven through that area on previous visits, so I decided it was time to see a new area of Louisiana. I spent about a couple hours in Hammond on Saturday, caught a couple southbound CN trains. Sunday morning I toured the River Road (in moderate fog and some rain), saw three UP trains within about an hour. Here are two shots. Enjoy!

1. CN coal train in Hammond, LA, passing the Amtrak depot.

2. UP westbound, a few miles north of Plaquemine

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds