Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > long lost TP west end, Minturn main & the local

Date: 01/24/11 18:44
long lost TP west end, Minturn main & the local
Author: eatontm

American Gypsum in Gypsum, CO continues to at least keep the last few miles of the west end of UP's Tennessee Pass Subdivision alive, just barely. UP's Minturn local out of GJ still makes the long trip 2 or 3 times a month. The local used to require verbal permission from the DS to occupy the "Minturn" main which is no longer the case. The 2 sets of CTC controlled intermediates east of Dotsero that had been dark for years have been removed. Two new distant signals for the westbound approach to Dotsero have been added. Todays LDF52-24 arrived with 2 empies, picked up 5 loads and away they went.

~ Backing out the loads onto the old D&RGW's Royal Gorge Route mainline. The small blip in the distance on the main designates the beginning of the out of service limits, Minturn, Tennessee Pass, Malta, Salida, all lie silent beyond.

~ Depating Gypsum, CO headed for home.

~ Of course the first big scenery isn't encountered till east of Eagle, CO, trainless for years. One of the more photogenic pair of intermediates protect the west entrance to Red Canyon.

t

Date: 01/24/11 18:47
Re: long lost TP west end, Minturn main & the local
Author: NH2006

Clean UP power is nice as well!

Date: 01/24/11 18:51
Author: tomstp

Thanks for great report and shots.

Date: 01/24/11 18:58
Author: railtime

What would be interesting if Grand Junction airport could hook up with the railroad to shuttle skiers in there. Denver would probably block it, but it would get lots of rental cars off of I-70 and make a great train ride.

ahhh dreaming...

neat shots...

Date: 01/24/11 20:31
Author: highgreengraphics

Looks sad, but neat photos! === === = === JLH

Date: 01/24/11 20:58
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Really nice stuff Tyler. I didn't realize the local was down to just a handful of times each month!

So with the intermediates removed, that kinda (greatly) implies that CTC is no longer used to authorize movements. Do they operate under Track Warrants now? Or just run on Yard Limits?

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/11 20:59 by ColoradoRailfan.

Date: 01/24/11 21:02
Author: philippe

Do not even need to go to Grand Jct. Just fly into Eagle County airport. Probably only 40 mi. to Minturn. It may be heresy but light rail would work. That way there would be no interference with the main line.

Philippe

Date: 01/25/11 07:52
Author: SilvertonRR100

ColoradoRailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Really nice stuff Tyler. I didn't realize the
> local was down to just a handful of times each
> month!

That is to Gypsum. Local runs three, sometimes four days a week. Sunday only to Lacy with an often 60-75 car train!

Rob

Date: 01/25/11 10:23

ColoradoRailfan Wrote:
> So with the intermediates removed, that kinda
> (greatly) implies that CTC is no longer used to
> authorize movements. Do they operate under Track
> Warrants now? Or just run on Yard Limits?

thats what I was wondering too but the radio was silent the entire time so no clues there.

t

Date: 01/25/11 15:18
Author: hoydie17

Really like that third photo... photos composed in that manner are always compelling to me. For a split second, I ask myself how in the world a train climbs over a mountain like that. I know the tracks snake around the valleys or via tunnel, but my imagination runs wild simply for amusement.

Date: 01/25/11 15:26
Author: zengineer

eatontm Wrote:
> ColoradoRailfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So with the intermediates removed, that kinda
> > (greatly) implies that CTC is no longer used to
> > authorize movements. Do they operate under
> Track
> > Warrants now? Or just run on Yard Limits?
>
> thats what I was wondering too but the radio was
> silent the entire time so no clues there.
>
> t

I believe that the track is no longer designated a "main line", and is now an industry lead.. Thus, "other than main track". If you witnessed the train not going over 10mph, then this is more than likely the case..

Nice work Tyler, keep em coming ok? I love to see pics anywhere on the TP line, no train needed!

JSA

Date: 01/25/11 15:37

They were easily over 10, closer to 25mph.

t

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0551 seconds