Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tie gang on the Cascade Line pt. 2

Date: 02/18/11 10:35
Tie gang on the Cascade Line pt. 2
Author: alligatorfan

What a difference a day makes! Went yesterday again to follow the tie gang and found the snow level was down to Minnow. When I got to Hampton it was a winter wonderland with moderate snowfall.

Date: 02/18/11 10:37
Re: Tie gang on the Cascade Line pt. 2

Even with the snow they moved right along. These were taken between Crale and Hampton.

Date: 02/18/11 10:45

Everybody on the gang was friendly and always waved as they went by. I had several of them come up to me and ask if they could get copies of the photos. I dubbed the guys in the last photo the "Tie Plate Posse". BTW in the last photo you can see the original alignment before the reservoir was built behind the guys about lower chest height.

Date: 02/18/11 10:49

It's my understanding that the four intermediate signals between Crale and Hampton are going to be replaced by one hooded signal. Last photo another guy wanting to pose in front of his machine.

Date: 02/18/11 10:51

Couple shots of the action taking place at the south end of Hampton.

Date: 02/18/11 10:53

North end of Hampton. A couple hours later the snow was pretty much gone.

Date: 02/18/11 11:04
Author: railstiesballast

Mof Way work is different than construction work in that there is no suspension for weather, except in extreme conditions (and then the pay continues.) A laborer or machine operator on a highway project is sent home without pay when it rains or snows, a MofW employee stays on the job and gets paid. Of course the work slows down due to road conditions, engines balk at starting, and extra care is needed even in walking.

A tie or surfacing gang can work in temperatures near freezing, as long as the ballast is not frozen solid. Low temperatures eliminate the risk of sunkinks, which is a plus. In a hard freeze (like most northern states) none of this work is possible for several months. A widespread system like the UP will move gangs north and south following the seasons. Like who wants to put in ties in Arizona in August anyway?

Date: 02/18/11 11:32
Author: mrmopar

railstiesballast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like who wants to put in ties in Arizona in August anyway?

Hey, its a dry heat... well maybe not in August!!!

Date: 02/18/11 12:48
Author: UP9000

I am guessing you know some one that works in that gang? I have had friends up that way before that have had very bad luck with the MOW crews. Maybe things have changed?

Great series of photos! The part of railroading not often shown that makes the big show we all enjoy possible.

Jamie Miller

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds