Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > North Platte, Is it Worth the Drive?

Date: 05/08/03 19:09
North Platte, Is it Worth the Drive?
Author: howardk

Will be railfanning the Laramie and Cheyenne areas in late May before heading up to Powder River Basin. Is it worth the drive and the time to head over to North Platte for a day? Is there a new observation tower open yet?

Comments please.

Date: 05/08/03 19:28
Re: North Platte, Is it Worth the Drive?
Author: AaronJ

Yes, it is worth the drive. Bailey yard and the triple track main is an awesome sight to see at least once.

No, there is no new observation tower and it's open to debate whether the "Golden Spike" will ever be built.

AaronJ

Date: 05/08/03 19:29
Author: s291

there's an observation tower, but in my opinion, its not all that great. ya can see stuff leaving the diesel shop, looks like its an older wooden platform. the city park with the big steam engine and the dd40x was neat. if you're gonna be in laramie and cheyenne, there should be better train watching spots there. north platte is flat and not as scenic...thats my opinion...
Casey

Date: 05/08/03 20:23
Author: BN7149

North Platte (the yard itself) is not incredibly accesible, but there are some good alternatives. Just West of the yard is O'Fallon Jct., one main continues West toward Cheyenne, while the other turns NW toward South Morril and the coal fields. Nice shots can be had there (at least until they built that bridge)and you can park in the large wye. If you desire to watch some trains at night, right across the mainline from the large grain elevator (that would be the South side) on the East end of the yard is a small park with a few benches, if my memory serves me correctly, it is lit at night. It certainly is worth seeing once in your lifetime, who knows, you may even spot an SD70M!

-Ryan
Granger, IN

Date: 05/08/03 21:17
Author: calpoly

no way an sd70m!!!!!!

Date: 05/08/03 21:28
Author: rrnut_99

Actually, it would be rare 'NOT' to spot an SD70M. They are everywhere.

L.G.

BN7149 wrote:

...who knows, you may even
> spot an SD70M!
>
> -Ryan
> Granger, IN
>
> [%sig%]

Date: 05/08/03 22:00
The drive is worth the drive
Author: Kushtaka

I would go through Crawford on the way there, Scottsbluff on the way back. Other interesting things along the way like geology, too.

Date: 05/08/03 22:53
Re: The drive is worth the drive
Author: brettrw

Howard,

I would definitely go by N. Platte. Others are right about the yard and what you can see, but if you go to the east end of town and watch them as they leave, it is really a sight to see as the trains race along sometimes side by side for miles while you pace them on US 30. Way cool!!

NP is a place to go more than once in my opinion. I loved it!

Brett Wirick
Railroad Crossings
http://www.trainweb.org/brettrw/index.html

Date: 05/09/03 06:53
Yes, NP is worth the drive and....
Author: tmotor2

...drive east of NP along US30 as far as time will permit you, seeing the triple track in action is pretty amazing. If you are coming from Cheyenne take I80 to Sydney, NE and you can pick up US30 at Sydney and follow it the whole way to NP.

Have fun,
Joel

Date: 05/09/03 07:35
Consider more than NP
Author: waybill

tmotor2 wrote:

> ...drive east of NP along US30 as far as time will permit
> you, seeing the triple track in action is pretty amazing. If
> you are coming from Cheyenne take I80 to Sydney, NE and you can
> pick up US30 at Sydney and follow it the whole way to NP.
>
> Have fun,
> Joel
>
>.

Follow old 30 right out of Chian so you can check out Archer Hill, also check out Point of Rocks farther east and continue to North Platte.

In addition to prior suggestions on O'Fallons, etc., continue eastward from North Platte to Gibbon along the triple track, and then to Grand Island. From Grand Island turn back west to Alliance via Hiway 2, from Alliance to Crawford Hill on hiway 2, then continune via gravel/paved roads (stick near the tracks) and go up to Edgemont, on to Newcastle, Moorcroft, Donkey Creek, and over to Gillette, and then follow coal line down toward Douglas, eastward along hiway 18 along UP to Van Tassell WY, and then follow UP southward via gravel road and paved from Van Tassell down to South Morrill. From South Morrill west and south via UP branch line to Egbert WY so you can check out the tunnel as well. Allow around two weeks. If you are in the area, do it right and take plenty of time.

Don't worry about gravel roads. Take them. The US Cavalry is no longer in the area!!

Yes, definitely go to North Platte. I have been out in this country nearly a dozen times and always find something new to see.

Date: 05/09/03 13:35
Author: gmojim

In North Platte, if you go to the rest room you will miss 2 trains. Go to a fast food place to eat and miss about 3-4 trains.

It is fantastic.

gmojim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.06 seconds