Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Hot Summer Colors Along the Upper Mississippi River

Date: 07/03/11 12:59
Hot Summer Colors Along the Upper Mississippi River
Author: rrartist

This little journey started on Thursday evening, June 30th down in the small town of Genoa WI. The train was the Z-CHCSTP, BNSF #9314. At the throttle was none other than Train-orders contributor himself The Iron Horse. Wasting very time the train hustled thru Genoa in the company notch! Friday, it was supposed to be nasty, hot and humid, and it was indeed! I took off a tad early from work to find the U-KEEBIR. Here the KEEBIR has just cleared a slow order and signal crew working on the grade crossing signals. That old girl #9602 sure knows how to smoke! I followed the ore load down to just above Genoa and photographed it as it split the old CBQ signals on Nickelotti Curve.

Date: 07/03/11 13:03
Re: Hot Summer Colors Along the Upper Mississippi River
Author: theironhorse

NICE!! Glad to see the shot came out great!! :D

The Iron Horse

Date: 07/03/11 13:20

When I returned to La Crosse, I found that #277 was working the CP yard. Still being a BN fan through and through, the consist today pretty dog-gone nice, with a Cascade Green motor leading a Gray lessor and then another ex-BN motor - SWEET! Once his switching chores were completed. I headed back to Dakota MN to catch #277 swinging thru a nice curve located there. Back in La Crosse, the temps reached 99 degrees and it was humid! Thee were two CP westbounds running back to back, the first train was #811 and the second with #283. #811 had a pair of H-2 SD70MACs led by the BNSF #8856 and #283 was running as the Soo Line #6061 - NICE! I hurried back to Dakota MN the for these two or at least one! CP train #811 swings thru Dakota on a very HOT Friday afternoon. #283 spent the better part of an hour in the La Cresent MN yard setting out a bad order! So my shot from the roundhouse area will have to do!

Date: 07/03/11 13:34

Saturday dawned quite a bit cooler as some strong storms blew thru during the night! BNSF #9231 leads the Z-STPCHC past the piles and piles of new ties that will installed in the west bound main in the next few weeks. The iron ore business is still going strong with one maybe two ore trains a day rolling thru La Crosse. BNSF #5910 leads a U-KEEBIR yesterday afternoon past the Goose Island County Park. About 45 miles south of La Crosse along the shores of the Mississippi River, there is the small town of Lnyxville WI. Not a big town, but a great place to view and photograph the BNSF! BNSF #9637 leads the H-KCKNTW past the bluffs that line the river from Savanna IL to St.Paul MN.

Date: 07/03/11 13:39

Following the KCKNTW was the H-MEMNTW with the BNSF #6195 and guess who at the throttle, none other than the Iron Horse once again! The last train for the evening turned out to be the V-CHCTAC returning to its normal route along the Northern Transcon as the flooding in Minot ND has eased up and has allowed the railroad to make the necessary repairs.

Date: 07/03/11 14:37
Author: sacrailfan

Great set of photos, thanks for posting!

Date: 07/03/11 22:22
Author: Diesel-Doctor

Great shots Jim, Happy 4th!

Date: 07/04/11 11:45
Author: SD45X

Great stuff!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0518 seconds