Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > KCS / Rich Mountain ?????

Date: 07/10/11 10:36
KCS / Rich Mountain ?????
Author: RustyRayls

I'm thinking about a little sidetrip from I-40 south to Mena and back on my return trip from northern Maine. I won't have a whole lot of extra time to spend on this. What kind of traffic volume can I expect during daylight hours on this line? Any other information, radio frequencies, good photo spots etc. will be highly appreciated.

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 07/10/11 11:17
Re: KCS / Rich Mountain ?????
Author: olddude41

Bob,

The radio channels are:

161.3100 - Base Transmit (Dispatcher) (Channel 80)
160.9350 - Mobile Transmit (Locomotive) (Channel 55)

You will need both to hear both sides of a conversation.

The Dispatcher is identified as Console 2.

Sorry I can't help with rail traffic info, but I'm sure others will have that info.

Larry W. Grant
(olddude41)
Dallas, Texas

Date: 07/10/11 13:36
Re: KCS / Rich Mountain ?????
Author: BobE

Note that there is a yard channel---AAR 63---in Heavener. Console 8 is a "super console" which facilitates traffic over the mountain when MOW in place (basically, M-F) in addition to Console 2.

Traffic: figure 8-10 movements over the mountain in daylight.

Spots: Aside from the classic exit from the Heavener Yard and the Mena Depot, the most-shot locales are Page siding in Oklahoma, a series of open spots between stands of trees at Howard, Arkansas, grade crossing just north of the siding switch at Rich Mountain, the summit, and Eagleton.

Southbound, the uphill trains are very easily chased, as they tend to be heavy (coal loads). Downhill trains from the summit to Mena are tricky....you can beat one easily enough to the grade crossing at Eagleton but you can't beat a train from Eagleton to the Mena depot (too many stoplights).

Northbound, uphill trains are easy enough to chase but there are only a couple of spots to shoot 'em. Downhill runs give you a few spots to shoot since the road and railroad are in close proximity from the summit to Page.

There are a couple of side roads into Zoe, Oklahoma that might be worth your while exploring, too. Of course, if you're only spending one day, get the shots that are straightforward first.

One other note....though KCS is a north-south railroad, the tracks across the mountain are much closer to east-west. So southbounds are best in the morning, while northbounds are best in the afternoon.

Good luck,

BobE

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds