Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Biggest MAC w/extra Ketchup

Date: 07/13/11 01:10
The Biggest MAC w/extra Ketchup
Author: SD45X

Some mustard in there too.

As ns2557 reported earlier, seems like these three are attached at the hips, as they came in together I think, and now are leaving, not sure where. Pueblo,CO.

Date: 07/13/11 07:50
Re: The Biggest MAC w/extra Ketchup
Author: santafe199

Geez, what happened to hiring paint scheme designers who know what they're doing? White? It'll be filthy after 1 trip around the block. Speaking of block,
what's with the lettering? And then it fades away? The rugged & powerful looking body design could be more interesting if it didn't resemble a tooth-less
albino shark. Sorry EMD, I have to "X" this paint scheme. Woof! (or should I say bow-wow, arf-arf...)

Date: 07/13/11 07:54
Author: ddkid

It's just a prototype. This locomotive is used as a test article by EMD, and has been around for years. Looks pretty clean, doesn't it?

Date: 07/13/11 08:21
Author: santafe199

ddkid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's just a prototype. This locomotive is used as
> a test article by EMD, and has been around for
> years. Looks pretty clean, doesn't it?

1st time I've ever seen it, so if it's only a test article (in-house, I presume?) that would explain things some. And I assume EMD has a wash-rack
somewhere on-property. But compared to previous EMD demo schemes, it's still ugly...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/11 08:23 by santafe199.

Date: 07/13/11 08:39
Author: UPTRAIN

Yeah this thing has been around a good 13 or 14 years I think. What train was it on and where was it headed?

Pump

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/13/11 09:31
Author: TTownTrains

ddkid Wrote:
> It's just a prototype. This locomotive is used as
> a test article by EMD, and has been around for
> years. Looks pretty clean, doesn't it?

Clean it is! What's currently on the inside? Wasn't it originally a 12-cylinder little sister of the SD70ACe?

TTownTrains

Date: 07/13/11 10:29
Author: SOO6617

The one and only SD89MAC.

Date: 07/13/11 10:46
Re: A Bigger MAC w/extra Ketchup
Author: ddkid

That's right. It has a 12-cylinder version of the EMD 265H engine. So it's the little sister of 90 and 91, which have 16-cylinder 265H's. So instead of being the biggest, it's a "Bigger MAC."

Date: 07/13/11 12:54
Author: dash944cw

Progress Rail (Caterpillar) is "quietly" field testing the 12-cylinder 265 engine for evaluation to determine IF they want to pursue production. It is only one part of several projects they are engaged in, to prepare competing with the GE Gevo engines currently preferred in the industry.

Date: 07/13/11 13:03
Author: Bath_wildcat

So is this a good thing or a bad thing? IIRC the 265H is good for marine applications, not the railroad.

Date: 07/13/11 15:46
Author: SD45X

Here it is New Years day when it came to town at Avondale,CO.

Looking inside...

Not sure where or what it's going to leave on.

Date: 07/13/11 17:38
Author: QU25C

Bath_wildcat Wrote:
> So is this a good thing or a bad thing? IIRC the
> 265H is good for marine applications, not the
> railroad.

It's not the motor thats bad in the 90 MAC's the 265 they got working well it was the hole thing was a bad design. GM and EMD didn't stand behind it well , GM cut there losses and sold EMD.
On top of that 6000 HP was and is to much HP for 6 TM's.

Date: 07/13/11 17:46
Author: markgillings

It's billed back to LaGrange.

Date: 07/16/11 21:54
Author: squash1247

Are there any photos of the 90 or 91? Seems odd that this unit would be outfitted with the newer notched cab design if it is as old as people are saying! I have not seen any 90 or 9043's with the notched cab. Any thoughts gang?

Date: 07/17/11 07:17
Author: SOO6617

EMD 90 and 91 have the same cab, as did the newest 40 SD90MAC-H painted for the UP. This cab is not the same as that used on the SD70ACe. There is obvious differences.

Date: 07/17/11 08:28
Author: squash1247

Thank you for clarifying! I was curious and decided to check out Wikipedia and here is what I found...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_SD90MAC

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0572 seconds