Home Open Account Help 214 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Hawthorne & Tonapah Nev question

Date: 07/27/11 12:43
Hawthorne & Tonapah Nev question
Author: CPRR

Is there still rail traffic to these locations? On Google maps I saw what looked like box cars next to a building in Tonapah.

Date: 07/27/11 12:56
Re: Hawthorne & Tonapah Nev question
Author: inyo22

There haven't been any rails to Tonopah since the 1940s. Hawthorne is still connected via a UP (former SP, former Carson & Colorado) branch that ends at Thorne. I do not believe it sees very much traffic though. All that would be going to or from Hawthorne these days is ammunition. The only customer down there is the Army depot. I think most traffic today goes no further than the power plant near Wabuska. I hope others can chime in about the frequency of trips to Hawthorne.

Date: 07/27/11 12:58
Author: SCAX3401

There is still rail access to the Hawthorne Army Ammo Depot at Hawthorne, but I don't know it tracks actually run into Hawthorne town itself. As far as Tonopah is concerned, I believe the railroad in town (Tonopah and Goldfield) was abondoned in 1947.

Date: 07/27/11 18:58
Author: WP3545

Tracks into Army base only. As far as power plant at Wabuska no cars in years but track still in place. There is only a dairy that gets grain in Wabuska.

Date: 07/28/11 08:04
Author: britchie

I was in Hawthorne in April this year & visited the museum, I asked about rail service & was told it was only to the munitions depot but that there are 200 miles of track on the dept property.
Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0338 seconds