Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Egeria canyon

Date: 09/26/11 19:40
Egeria canyon
Author: eatontm

One of the least photographed wonders of the D&RGW, Egeria canyon. The final obstacle in the Craig Branch's climb out of the Colorado River valley at Bond, CO to reach the Yampa Valley, is seriously difficult to access. The 1 or 2 daylight trains a day hardly justify the effort. Regardless, after much clawing around rugged hillsides I found an unobstructed view around the middle of the canyon. Then killed a few more hours drawing in the dirt, throwing rocks, contemplating my own insanity, ect. but finally eastbound coal loads crept downgrade.

CEYPS eastbound Egeria Canyon. 9.26.11

Date: 09/26/11 19:54
Re: Egeria canyon
Author: SantaFeRuss

Rugged for sure. Thanks for the effort. Nice shot.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 09/26/11 20:00
Author: Amtrakdavis22

Very cool. That shot definitely seems worth the effort to get there and wait for a train. Thanks for sharing.

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

Date: 09/26/11 21:27
Author: highgreengraphics

Nice, TME. Don't think I have ever seen a photo of that canyon. I assume some help from rebazar? Glad you could put it to use! === === = === JLH

Date: 09/26/11 21:35
Author: zwsplac

Nice shot. I was up there a week ago with the same shot in mind, but the traffic patterns didn't justify the effort. I at least was rewarded with a nice shot of the Crater Loops though.

Date: 09/26/11 22:56
Author: 3rdswitch

Very nice T.
JB

Date: 09/27/11 07:02
Author: SP8595

Neat Picture from a very isolated location! Sometimes it is very hard to turn up the Branch and make the 20 miles at 20 MPH run to P-Burg instead of changing crews at Bond, but the scenery sure can't be beat! I have seen just about every kind of wildlife imaginable through that canyon, bear, elk, moose, deer, mountain lions, bobcats, antelope, and more! Thanks for Sharing!

Date: 09/27/11 07:19
Author: P

Thanks for sharing your efforts. A great photograph.

Date: 09/27/11 07:31
Author: eatontm

nice, I kept telling myself trains would scare all the mean animals away but was pretty positive I was being stalked. Thanks for the compliments glad you all enjoyed the photo.

t

Date: 09/27/11 08:03
Author: WAF

I can count on one hand the shots I have seen taken of that Canyon including my own. Good work!

Date: 09/27/11 08:44
Author: railwaybaron

Great shot! How does one get into the Egeria Canyon? Can a normal car make the trip slowly? How many trains in daylight? Thanks in advance.

Date: 09/27/11 08:50
Author: WAF

railwaybaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shot! How does one get into the Egeria
> Canyon? Can a normal car make the trip slowly? How
> many trains in daylight? Thanks in advance.

It requires a good hike across private property to the edge of the Canyon off of the Highway to Phippsburg. You have to know exactly where to go.

Date: 09/27/11 16:14
Author: MacBeau

A true gem sir, and one no one else is likely to post for a while either. As to the issues of insanity, TO has no sanity clause.
—Mac

"There's no such thing as a sanity clause." —Chico Marx

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0449 seconds