Home Open Account Help 181 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Narrowband

Date: 10/01/11 14:00
Narrowband
Author: texchief1

I posted this question on the Technology Board also, but it doesn't look like it is very active. I understand that UP has completed their cutover to Narrowband. Does anybody know a site that has the new frequencies?

Randy Lundgren

Date: 10/01/11 18:02
Re: Narrowband
Author: RustyRayls

Same as the old frequencies. channel numbers pick up a zero in front of them. Example ---- channel 27 becomes 027, frequency is still 160.515
Altamont Press new "Central West TT" page 115 has the info.

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 10/01/11 18:16
Author: sptno

You can tell a narrowband signal as the audio level or deviation will be half of what it normally is.

Some radios can compensate for this by programming a wideband and narrowband channel in two different channel positions. The radio will automatically compensate for the reduced volume. This feature is in the higher end radio equipment. It is called a compandor (compander in some cases).

Narrowbanding allow for additional channel spectrum between the current channels. That is why the FCC is mandating narrowbanding.

At some point in time, the railroads will migrate to NXDN digital. Unfortunately, no scanner manufacturer is likely to start producing radios that receive this new technology because of the high cost of the equipment and the license costs.

One can always go out and purchase a VHF highband NXDN radio for around $600 +/-. That is what I am planning on doing.

Hope that this helps.

Pat
WA5VRO
South Austin,TX

Date: 10/01/11 19:06
Author: NebraskaZephyr

As I understand it, current frequencies are not changing, new usage will be slotted in the added "in-between" channels.

The FCC licenses users to specific frequencies, not to channel numbers. The channel numbers are a nomenclature invented by the AAR to promote easy communication between railroads.

NZ

Date: 10/02/11 14:57
Author: sptno

You are correct.

In narrowbanding, there will be new frequencies between the existing wideband frequencies and everything will become narrowbanded.

The FCC has set a date of January 1, 2013. We have been telling our clients, December 31, 2012.

The FCC will grant few if any waivers. The only ones that look like will be granted are for those systems moving from an old technology to a new one. In my field of work, it looks like mainly public-safety will be granted a very short time frame waiver.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens.

Pat
South Austin, TX
WA5VRO

Date: 10/02/11 17:16
Author: KB5WK

sptno Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At some point in time, the railroads will migrate
> to NXDN digital. Unfortunately, no scanner
> manufacturer is likely to start producing radios
> that receive this new technology because of the
> high cost of the equipment and the license costs.

For Class 1's to convert to Digital communications, along with shortlines, passenger, regional etc. That would be a huge cost undertaking. If the FCC mandates it. Will they help pay the cost? Since we are moving to a digital world. It will probably happen eventually but its not going to be cheap.
With RR's having to get PTC compliant. That is another expensive requirement. Be interesting to see if the Digital communication will be forced down there throat like PTC. Especially when the current form of communication works. If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds