Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > New Chicago questions.

Date: 11/18/11 06:41
New Chicago questions.
Author: junctiontower

It looks like I will be heading to the Windy City in December for the fourth time in the last twelve months. One of the railroads that I have yet to experience at all is the Belt Railway Of Chicago. Is there any decent reliable spots to view BRC motive power, and does anyone have a good BRC route map? All the ones I found on the net were useless once enlarged enough to read the print, as by then it was too blurry. I am also looking for more busy spots in the southern half of the region that offer interesting backgrounds for photography. I will have a vehicle, so I can move around. Any suggestions?

Date: 11/18/11 07:04
Re: New Chicago questions.
Author: peoriarr1

Pulaski going over the belt and then from the wal mart parking lot. Also check out hayford jct you can stand in the south east corner. Its on the east end of the yard. The belt is near Mid Way Airport. I don't know the exact spot, but there are two motors at a small yard for coal to ship loading on the southeast side of Chicago.

Date: 11/18/11 07:37
Author: calumet

Your best bet is to check out the Hayford-Clearing Yard area. For more, go here and scroll down:

http://dhke.com/CRJ/hayford.html

Unfortunately, BRC doesn't run many trains these days. A few switch jobs and a couple of transfers are about it. If you want to be assured of seeing some BRC motive power, walk up on the Cicero Ave viaduct over Clearing.

Date: 11/18/11 11:54
Author: bnsfsd70

If you're lucky, you can catch them switching the maze of industries just north of Clearing Yard as well. This had been run by SW1500's, though the Gensets may take over at some point, if not already.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 11/18/11 14:33
Author: ghemr

The BRC does run a "South Chicago Transfer" which starts at 2230 and gets back to Clearing between 0900-1030. You might be able to view it at Hayford, Pulaski Bridge or Cicero Bridge. Otherwise that is the only transfer job that I know of.....

Date: 11/20/11 07:30
Author: phlone

Actually there are now two S. Chicago transfers, 0230 and 1430 on duty at S. Chicago.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0314 seconds