Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > a few around chatsworth CA today

Date: 03/10/12 16:52
a few around chatsworth CA today
Author: tc

On the way back from simi valley today I found the E/B loaded oil cans so I figured what the heck try some chatsworth shots. It was a little hazy but it is not to often the cans run daylight hours. 1st is coming down the grade between the rock cuts, 2nd is rounding the bend ready to go under topanga canyon. 3rd is the cans diverging for a W/B amtrak just leaving chatsworth station

Date: 03/10/12 16:55
Re: a few around chatsworth CA today

a couple more shots. 1st is the cans about to cross chatsworth street. 2nd is the W/B amtrak exiting the tunnel under topanga canyon. Thanks for the views Tim

Date: 03/10/12 17:00
Author: odub

Shot no. 1 reaffirms my belief that Disney constructed the rock section at Chatsworth. Great shot.

Don

Date: 03/10/12 17:36
Author: DNM4TRAINS

great angles--can still picture train 99 working thru there--with a gs4 on point

Date: 03/10/12 21:24
Author: Westbound

Photo 1 appears to be the area where many outstanding pictures were taken back in SP steam days. If that's the same area, there was once a semaphore signal there as well as a little wooden telephone shanty. But as a native northern Californian, I was never there. The color photos at the time of steam show an almost park-like area on at least one side of the tracks, with green grass separating the edge of this little canyon from the railroad roadbed. Were those just weeds - or did a little park exist there? Did a city or county actually encourage visitors into this wondrous little place?

Date: 03/10/12 22:05
Author: Fizzboy7

Almost doesn't look like California. So many different looks to the area.
Saw the cans pass through Northridge shortly after... the day is now complete thanks to these photos.

Date: 03/11/12 01:00
Author: bearease

Ah, one of my all time favorite places.
The cans must've been moving pretty slow, or you were moving pretty fast to get to Chatsworth in time to watch her go by!

In answer to Westbound's questions, there is a park just to the left and below the rocks in the first picture, known as Chatsworth Park North. The "South" part of the park is beyond, and below the bend in the distance. The area I think you're speaking of in the older pictures is to the left (East) of the curve in the second pic. I believe that was and still is (?) private land. There were probably fields or orchards in that area in the older pictures. I'm sure some native Chatsworthians have more details.

Date: 03/11/12 05:45
Author: coaststarlight99

Nicely done! I love the scenery in Chatsworth.

Date: 03/11/12 07:49
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

great pictures. Number 3 is the location of the fatal Metrolink and UP Crash..

Date: 03/11/12 08:01

The cans were moving very slow as they were coming down the grade I actually had a leetle time to kill between shots. I think the semaphore signal was just west of this location.

Date: 03/11/12 16:45
Author: bearease

Actually, the Metrolink crash was on the curve, East of the Topanga tunnel. This would be to the left and on the other side of the Tunnel from where the photographer is.

Used to hang around that area a lot. Now I get a bit of the Heebie Jeebies. It's hard to get it out of your mind when you're nearby.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds