Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Winterail 2012

Date: 03/11/12 00:12
Winterail 2012
Author: stash

Every program absolutely outstanding. As always, a most enjoyable experience.

Much appreciation to Vic, Evan, the presenters, vendors, roadies, and all who make this happen. Looking forward to the 35th edition in 2013.

Date: 03/11/12 01:26
Re: Winterail 2012
Author: SN711

I will second it that the shows were great.

Attendance this year was only a handful over last year and I guess last year was a record low, about 740 paid attendance. We need more people to go!! I've made 3 of the last four years and then missed the previous 18 years. The attendees are getting older and there are not enough younger attendees to fill in. When I was attending in the late 80's up till about 1991, I was in my mid 20's and I was among the youngest attendees. There were token amounts of younger kids, but not a lot. Now 20 years later, in my late 40's, I am still among the youngest attendees. Again, there were token amounts of youngsters, but not enough to make up for others who are getting to old!!

I hope to be there next year as well.

Gary

Date: 03/11/12 06:57
Author: mojaveflyer

I had a ticket... If my truck wasn't in the shop I would have been there. Looking forwards to being there next year, I'll be retired by then! Hooray!!!

Date: 03/11/12 09:10
Author: cchan006

SN711 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will second it that the shows were great.
>
> Attendance this year was only a handful over last
> year and I guess last year was a record low, about
> 740 paid attendance. We need more people to go!!
> I've made 3 of the last four years and then missed
> the previous 18 years. The attendees are getting
> older and there are not enough younger attendees
> to fill in. When I was attending in the late 80's
> up till about 1991, I was in my mid 20's and I was
> among the youngest attendees. There were token
> amounts of younger kids, but not a lot. Now 20
> years later, in my late 40's, I am still among the
> youngest attendees. Again, there were token
> amounts of youngsters, but not enough to make up
> for others who are getting to old!!
>
> I hope to be there next year as well.
>
> Gary

I'll third that, and this was my third Winterail. Damn great show.

As for the token amounts of youngsters, I saw many of the railfans I see trackside attend, some working as roadies. I know that the today's young railfans are into video, and there were great videos at the show, too, including the Rotaries, Avalanche in the Mountain, and how Evan incorporated his well known "Evan Quality" videos in his Madera Concreto presentation.

What grabbed me was that the locations I railfanned as a curiosity recently, which would be Soldier Summit in Utah and the D&RGW narrow gauge steam in Colorado, were presented wonderfully this year - very little Armour Yellow in Helper, and wow, look at the narrow gauges half century ago! I just regret not being able to attend more Winterails before, as the older railfans are passing on wonderful treasures from the past to the younger 'fans. This sort of stuff doesn't happen trackside or in "blogs". Searching for historic footage on YouTube is not the same as having an open mind at a show like Winterail and just absorbing it all.

Date: 03/11/12 11:47
Author: DocJones

Sorry I had to miss it this year after 20 years or so. Thanks for the event and show descriptions. Keep 'em coming so I can enjoy vicariously. Missed you all. See you next year.

Have fun, be safe,

Bruce "Doc" Jones

Date: 03/11/12 11:59
Author: WP282

It always takes me a day or so to select on the shows. The creativity is astonishing. The human interest shows always get me the most. Mike Danneman's show about the last Rio Grande Tunnel Motors in Helper was excellent - he wove the story so well. Loved all the stan shows. Gotta get the rotaries video - a fitting successor to "The Battle for Donner Pass".

Date: 03/11/12 12:09
Author: cchan006

DocJones Wrote:
> Sorry I had to miss it this year after 20 years or
> so. Thanks for the event and show descriptions.
> Keep 'em coming so I can enjoy vicariously. Missed
> you all. See you next year.
>
> Have fun, be safe,
>
> Bruce "Doc" Jones

The show about the streetcars and furniculars in Lisbon (Portugal) was very charming. Tyco trolleys run amuck!! Mr. Dorn did a wonderful look back at the SP territories in Oregon, California, Nevada, and Arizona, the SP I never had the chance to see. The "Texas Shorts" could be my next inspiration, as I've never foamed in Texas before.

Date: 03/11/12 17:37
Author: DaveL

OH, yes, excellent in every way. I have lost of how many times I've attended.

However,I was again reminded that just because someone is handed a "good" camera,
slide, digital or video, it does not make them automatically an excellent photographer.

'nuff said......

DaveL

Date: 03/11/12 18:19
Author: DocJones

Once more from Doc Jones:
I heard there was going to be a show on Santa Fe's Second District, AKA, Pasadena Sub. Any thoughts on that show if it did indeed run?
BTW, did they say if the rotaries video was going to be available?
It really sucked not to be there but - "unavoidable circumstances" etc. etc. etc.
You get the picture.

Thanks for the reports and thanks in advance for any that keep coming in.

Bruce "Doc" Jones
Sierra Madre CA

Date: 03/11/12 19:34
Author: tinytrains

They previewed the rotary video, and vol. 1 is available from BA Productions. It is amazing.

Big thanks to Vic and the crew for another great show.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 03/11/12 21:28
Author: chakk

DocJones Wrote:
> Once more from Doc Jones:
> I heard there was going to be a show on Santa Fe's
> Second District, AKA, Pasadena Sub. Any thoughts
> on that show if it did indeed run?
> BTW, did they say if the rotaries video was going
> to be available?
> It really sucked not to be there but -
> "unavoidable circumstances" etc. etc. etc.
> You get the picture.
>
> Thanks for the reports and thanks in advance for
> any that keep coming in.
>
> Bruce "Doc" Jones
> Sierra Madre CA

The show about the Santa Fe division in Pasadena, CA was shown on Friday nite at the same venue as Winterail, which was
one of presentations shown between 6 PM and 9:45 PM. Separate ticketing (no advance sales)
for that event for $7, which included free pizza and soft drinks, provided by the publishers of Railroad & Railfan Magazine. All proceeds of the Friday nite event went to the NRHS for its "restoration grants" programs.

Date: 03/11/12 23:41
Author: zuco74

This was my first Winterail and it was nothing short of amazing. It was fun to finally meet tons of folks who I only knew from TO or Facebook. My fav show had to be the one on the D&RG Helpers. Such a great presentation. The time lapse photography one was truly epic as well ! But what can I say.. All the shows were great. Even the shows on Friday were excellent. Especially enjoyed the slides of the Pasadena Sub (2nd District) ... I picked up the Blu Ray of the Rotaries on Donner Pass. I cant wait to watch if in its entirety tomorrow when I finally get home.

Tony

Date: 03/14/12 13:48
Author: groundhog

Great show .another fine year, i would not expect anything less from from Vic, Evan, annie, ryan, and all the show producers and roadies i have a hope that maybe someday they would have a Rail show , here in the bayarea. i talk to a number of people who wished they could go, but have a problem with traveling to stockton. anyway great job people. Edward Timmerman retired SP/UP railroader Oakland.

Date: 03/15/12 03:03
Author: PERichardson

Another great show. My fave was Stan Kistler's Al Rose photos. For me, the highlight is seeing old friends and catching up on stuff. Having attended the first Winterail (in some motel along Auburn Blvd in Sacramento) and the great majority of shows since, it's always a great time. Now I've got a 6,000 mile commute but it's worth it. We ain't gettin' any younger though and somehow need to get the kids interested.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0696 seconds