Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Colorado Railroad Map

Date: 06/27/12 15:53
Colorado Railroad Map
Author: atsfm177

Can anyone point me to a decent map of Colorado that shows the major railroad lines (including the "recent history" closures) and the major highways?

I've found a variety of historical maps (most of which are too detailed) or very detailed sections of Colorado. Am looking for something like the maps that used to be in the California Regional Railfan Timetables.

I recently drive through Colorado East to West, mostly over I-70 with a side trip to go white water rafting on the Royal Gorge, and while I could identify some of the lines I was passing or paralleling, many weren't obvious. As an example, what is the line you first see on the west side of Vail Colorado that doesn't seem to be active?

Greg

Greg Ramsey
Las Vegas, NV

Date: 06/27/12 15:56
Re: Colorado Railroad Map
Author: trb

The line west of Vail is UP's Tennessee Pass sub.

Todd Busse

Date: 06/27/12 17:09

Where does it go East in relation to Vail?

Funny I hear you folks talk about the Moffet, Tennessee Pass, etc all the time, but until I drove through Colorado for the first time the last two summers taking my daughter to and from school, it didn't realize how little I knew about the place.

Greg

Greg Ramsey
Las Vegas, NV

Date: 06/27/12 17:17
Author: SD45X

And the best map is the Delormes Gazetter road map. Has all the current major lines and most show the correct owner as well.
And I think the Colorado RR museum in Golden,CO. has a Colorado historical RR map about poster size you could get and mark up the Gazetter if you like. It has all the RRs from the past and/or current lines but may not show current owners. Been a while since I have seen it.

And I70 follows the DRGW main to Grand Jct. At Vail you picked up the Tennesse Pass line, and at Dotsero the Cutoff connects the Moffat line here to run through Glenwood canyon and West to Utah.
I70 east of Denver is the UP Kansas Pacific (KP) main to Limon,CO. and Topeka,KS.It split here with the Rock Island on the north side of the highway most of the way to Colby? I think. The Kyle runs this portion now. UP comes back farther down the road in the Salina area.

And Sonrisa publications has a dedicated RR map per state in timetable shape. Has major roads shown as well. J David Cooley does them. Has rr channels to listen to as well and I think he IDs the subdivision as well. Not at home to give you the full info available but you can google him or Sonrisa to find them. And Colorado is one of the maps already done.

Date: 06/27/12 19:05

And there he is.

http://www.djcooley.com/index.htm

Now why didn't I think to ask this question before I drove cross-country. :-)

Greg Ramsey
Las Vegas, NV

Date: 06/28/12 18:31
Author: lowwater

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds