Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Derailment in Bakersfield

Date: 07/10/12 17:34
BNSF Derailment in Bakersfield
Author: tronarail

A BNSF loaded Grain Train derailed about 5:00 PM at Riena Road and Santa Fe Way. I had to wait for the local TV station's coverage to see what had happened, and from what I could see, three (3) loaded grain hoppers were involved. Two of the cars are totally destroyed, being shoved together like a compressed spring. Grain has spilled from the derailed cars, but Kern County FD officials say there is no danger to residents. The derailed cars were only two cars behind the lead units, and reports (not confirmed) say that an apparent "line problem" (I think they mean 'air') caused the train to come to sudden stop, resulting in the pictures I saw.

Date: 07/10/12 18:07
Re: BNSF Derailment in Bakersfield
Author: ats90mph

You sure it was the lead units, and not the DPU's?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/10/12 18:29
Author: SF3751

Sounds like there were just head-end units, no DPU's. Train is bound for Swanson, CA.

Date: 07/10/12 18:47
Author: Wildebeest

SF3751 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like there were just head-end units, no
> DPU's. Train is bound for Swanson, CA.

Where is Swanson, CA?

D F W

Date: 07/10/12 19:40
Author: Valleyman

Near Keys or Turlock, CA if you prefer. They use an ex ATSF 2260 for switching.

Valleyman

Date: 07/11/12 05:19
Author: RayLewis

Here is the link to the Bfield Californian with pics.
http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/Train-derailment-closes-a-section-of-Santa-Fe-Way-162010505.html

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/12 05:20 by RayLewis.

Date: 07/11/12 10:16
Author: cajon

This was a Stockton long pool crew on duty at Bakersfield at 3:30pm. The train came into Bakerfield in DPU mode (4-3-2). They put all the power on the head end to get it up north. Well at Una, the train was going to take the siding to meet the QRICATG on the main. The air hose separated between the last unit and first car placing the train into emergency. Well the engineer. didn't bail off the engine brakes and this was the after math. 16,700 tons of grain coming at you at 40 mph. Engine brakes set up but the rear portion took its time. Come to find out the engineer had all 9 units on line, none isolated, WHOOPS!!!!! So the last 2 units are damaged and the first 4 cars. What that must of felt like when all 111 cars hit the power?
Dennis

Date: 07/11/12 17:08

Now let me see if I got this straight. The grain train came into Bakersfield with 4 on the point, 3 DPU mid train helpers, and 2 DPU rear-end helpers (standard arragement for climbing over the Tehachapi Pass). Then, a new crew takes over, and switches out the DPU's, and places them on the head end? A most unusual move, to be sure. Any BNSF grain train I've seen heading north keeps the power arrangement just as it was made up from wherever the train originated. Oh well, stranger things have happened. If the accident occurred as you describe, this will definitely result in "remedial training in locomotive/consist handling."

Date: 07/11/12 17:11

From the angle of the local TV news coverage, all I could see was one of the "trailing units" and the damaged freight cars. I do not know if the unit I saw was a lead or DPU.

Date: 07/14/12 20:31
Author: ProAmtrak

They should've kept it the way it was or isolated some units! You don't need all that power to head up the San Joaquin Valley!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0306 seconds