Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Day Along UP's Evanston Sub

Date: 11/04/12 08:10
A Day Along UP's Evanston Sub
Author: GrandeGold

I had my entire Saturday free so I packed my camera and a lunch and headed to UP's Evanston Subdivision east of Ogden. The weather forecast was for a full day of sunshine with temperatures ranging between 41-62 degrees. Why stay home?

1. First catch of the day, the MRVNP climbs along the beautiful red cliffs of Echo Canyon.

2. Moonset behind the cliffs.

3. An eastbound grain empty was about 30 minutes behind the drag manifest. Note evidence on the snowplow that the 5660 clobbered something along the way.

(continued)

James Belmont
Salt Lake City, UT

Date: 11/04/12 08:15

4. After a long break, a 2x1 KOAMN charged east up the grade at Emory.

5. The KLTG2 roars east through Echo with some nifty Park City Branch remnants in the foreground. The train crew was friendly with toots of the whistle and a wave.

6. The MWCNP showed up at precisely the same time as the ZSKDL. Luckily, the Z didn't compromise the shot as the UP 7799 headed east through Echo.

(continued)

James Belmont
Salt Lake City, UT

Date: 11/04/12 08:20

7. The ZSKDL4 got a big head start on me at Echo. I put the pedal to the metal and beat the little Z to the Weber River Crossing at Devil's Slide. The Z only had 28 empty refers on UP 7866's drawbar.

8. A few minutes behind the salad shooter, the KG1LA made an appearance with all EMDs at Henefer.

9. Right behind the K train, the hot ZDVSC rambled through Henefer with lots of UPS traffic. I'm hoping my new iPod5 is somewhere inside one of those pups.

(continued)

James Belmont
Salt Lake City, UT

Date: 11/04/12 08:25
Re: A Day Along UP's Evanston Sub

And lastly . . .

10-12. UP's hot ZNPOA was the final runby of the day prior to sunset. A major portion of the Z train's consist was K-Line refrigerated containers with red power units. They sure do look nice when blocked together.

Not a bad day foaming at trackside. The weather guessers are claiming this to be our last unseasonably warm weekend before the arrival of cold weather leading to winter.

Thanks for taking the tour,

James Belmont
Salt Lake City, UT

Date: 11/04/12 08:56
Author: Western_Star

Great stuff, James

Date: 11/04/12 09:01
Author: ironmtn

As always, James, you give us wonderful images from your region. Fine work again. Thanks.

Date: 11/04/12 09:34
Author: coach

With only 28 reefers on that SELKIRK-DELANO "RailEx" train, it makes me wonder why the California business isn't better? We're in the height of harvest season, and before the holidays.

Date: 11/04/12 14:41
Author: funnelfan

Great stuff James!!!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 11/04/12 16:31
Author: RustyRayls

Nice work Sir James!!! Always look forward to your post.

SOB

Date: 11/04/12 19:02
Author: TedS-P

Pretty sweet shooting, thanks for sharing!

Ted S-P

Date: 11/04/12 19:19
Author: millerdc

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With only 28 reefers on that SELKIRK-DELANOmaybe
> "RailEx" train, it makes me wonder why the
> California business isn't better? We're in the
> height of harvest season, and before the holidays.

Wonder if maybe at the receiving end the hurricane has screwed up distribution so they can accept only a limited quantity?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0673 seconds