Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Steam on the Twin Peaks Sub

Date: 11/04/12 16:47
Steam on the Twin Peaks Sub
Author: skyview

With good weather, and a chance to get a very rare movement of steam on the BNSF Twin Peaks Sub, I headed south to follow the train, from Folsom to Walsenburg. A fair number of others were doing the same, Id estimate 40-50 folks chasing the train (less vehicles than that though).

The first 2 shots show the train as heads north between Twin Mountain and Folsom, NM, with the Capulin Volcano behind the train. The third shot is shooting north, as the train leaves Folsom, NM.

Date: 11/04/12 16:50
Re: Steam on the Twin Peaks Sub

The 4th and 5th image show the train just as its leaving Alps, NM.
The 6th image is at Trinchere, CO. My orginal plan was to shoot the vertical curve, but the train was running earlier than first though, and a great deal of dust from the dirt road would have interfered with the shot, so I shot the train just prior to the small town of Trinchere.

Date: 11/04/12 16:53
Re: Steam on the Twin Peaks Sub and Spanish Peaks Sub

The next shot shows the train between Beshoar, CO and Barela, CO
The next shot shows the train as it was coming to a stop in Trinidad, CO, where 844 was lubed, and the NM state flag on the front change to a Colorado state flag.
The next shot, near Mayne,CO shows UP 844 with the Colorado state flag clearly seen.

Once leaving Trinidad, the train traversed on the Spanish Peaks Sub.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/12 17:00 by skyview.

Date: 11/04/12 16:56

The final shot shows UP 844 is approaching Walsenburg, CO on the Spanish Peaks Sub, with the antelope in the shot more interested in the photographer than the steam train behind them.

All in all, the line provided a great opportunity to catch the UP 844 on rare trackage, in interesting scenery. No doubt more images will be posted soon, as a number of contributors to train orders were falling the train!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/12 17:00 by skyview.

Date: 11/04/12 17:01
Author: icancmp193

Wonder if anyone shot from the top of the volcano? It's an incredible view from up there. Been up there twice but no trains.

Tom Y

Date: 11/04/12 17:38
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice shots, Tim! Thanks for posting them.

Date: 11/04/12 18:43
Author: rehunn

Echo that, very nice shots and a really unusual use of a trackage rights agreement.

Date: 11/04/12 20:34
Author: ironmtn

Terrific images, all. The first image passing by Capulin was particularly special. One of my favorite territories, and an area where I have spent many happy hours. I was thinking of all of you following the 844 through the entire day today, and wishing I could have been there. Thanks for sharing these fine images to be able to share in the experience from afar.

MC
Columbia, Missouri
Former Coloradan

Date: 11/04/12 21:54
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Thanks so much for posting these great photos!
Some of them really make the train look small.
(The West's wide-open spaces will do that!)
Glad you got to chase today!

Date: 11/05/12 04:34
Author: 3rdswitch

Excellent set of images Tim, very nice.
JB

Date: 11/05/12 06:30

Thanks for the comments.
My first goal was to capture the train with the Capulin volcano behind the train, and I'm happy with the results.

After that my goal was to get some images reflecting the Twin Peaks sub look and feel, which I accomplished to some extent. Some shots I would have done were not possible account the early running of the train, in general, either early morning light then afternoon light favors the section from Branson to Trinidad, so some angles didn't work, and other angles I couldn't pull off due to other chasers on the dirt road causing dust and more time to get from location to location.

It would have been nice to work the Twin Peaks in to a shot, but I was in the wrong positions to do that.

As to the Spanish Sub between Trinidad and Walsenburg, I found several locations that I wasn't aware of, and believe that I will go back specifically to work train on that segment of line.

Thanks to SD45 and NathanZ for some information/location spots on the line, I look forward to seeing there images posted as well!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.063 seconds