Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trains Mag Map of the Month Mistakes

Date: 11/10/12 17:40
Trains Mag Map of the Month Mistakes
Author: funnelfan

The current issue of Trains Map of the Month has at least two glaring mistakes, possibly more. The Steepest grade on the SP wasn't the 2.43% of Donner Pass at Cap Horn. I believe it was the 3.46% grade on the Siskiyou line. UP also had a grade in excess of 3% at Colfax, WA. Look it over for more mistakes.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/12 17:41 by funnelfan.

Date: 11/10/12 18:03
Re: Trains Mag Map of the Month Mistakes
Author: jc76

I saw a a number of discrepancies on that map. some lines were branch lines others mainlines... DRGW Monarch branch 4%. It was still a really cool map though.....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/12 18:06 by jc76.

Date: 11/10/12 18:18
Author: wpjones

I was told by a friend that worked for Black Hills Central for 11 years that the grade near the top of TinMill hill was near 6% on the east side.
Steve

Date: 11/10/12 19:41
Author: lowwater

Haven't seen the map yet, but the D&RG Calumet Branch had grades to 7.7%. Is the Uintah on the map? Max was 7.5%.

Date: 11/10/12 20:09
Author: Evan_Werkema

Date: 11/10/12 23:30
Author: funnelfan

Thanks, I missed that old thread. We should collect the data and make a corrected list. The criteria for the data to somewhat match those from the magazine will be Class 1 railroads between 1930 and 1950. Mainlines and major branchline grades are good, but not spurs. Standard Gauge only, narrow gauge railroads were in a class of their own. I'll edit info as it comes in.

ATSF
Steepest = 4.03% Raton Pass
Highest = 7622' Raton Pass

DRGW
Steepest = 4.5% Monarch Branch
Highest = 10,202' Tennessee Pass

GN
Steepest = 2.2% Stevens Pass
Highest = 6368' Elk Park Pass (near Butte, MT)

MILW
Steepest = 3.47% Tacoma Gulch, WA
Highest = 6350' Pipestone Pass

NP
Steepest = 4% Lookout Pass, ID
Highest = 6329' Homestake Pass

SP
Steepest = 3.67% Siskiyou Line
Highest = 8663' Cloudcroft, NM

SP&S
Steepest = 2.34% Dollar Branch @ Sweet Home, OR
Highest = 3,666' Bend, OR

UP
Steepest = 3.0% Colfax, WA
Highest = 9055' Foxpark, WY

WP
Steepest = 2.2% Hi-Line @ Almanor, CA
Highest = 5907' Flower Lake Tunnel (Hogan, NV)

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/12 18:06 by funnelfan.

Date: 11/11/12 07:53
Author: icancmp193

Norvel, CA at 5,741' was the highest spot on the old WP (also on the Highline).

Tom Y

Date: 11/11/12 10:15
Author: rob_l

I think the steepest category should be restricted to only lines where trains regularly had to climb the uphill grade. That would leave out the UP Tekoa Branch coming into Colfax as well as the DMIR approaching Two Harbors.

The Milw Rd Tacoma Gulch was not 3.57%. It is difficult to assign a grade to that stretch because the grade there is not at all constant. A figure of 3.47% is sometimes assigned to it, but the actual length of track that is that steep is pretty short and the rest of the line is a lesser grade.

As a practical matter, I would be in favor of preparing a list of steepest and highest on only main lines and leave out branch lines. The Milw Rd's Tacoma Eastern and the WP's High Line qualify as main lines, but the NP Wallace Branch and UP Tekoa Branch do not.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 11/11/12 13:33
Re: WP altitude
Author: timz2

> Norvel, CA at 5,741' was the highest
> spot on the old WP

Looks like it gets higher than that in Nevada.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0562 seconds