Home Open Account Help 189 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Peek-a-boo at Pisgah

Date: 11/11/12 11:56
Peek-a-boo at Pisgah
Author: santafe199

On the dreary Monday morning just past (5th) I was on my way to Springfield, IL to spend 3 days with long time friend Gary Helling (shoptonfan). I
was in no hurry and I sort of let my camera take me on little detours here & there off of I-72. When my camera & I passed over a standing train at
Jacksonville we decided to circle around for a few shots. The train was in the siding, apparently having just met an eastbound. I pulled off at a
convenient crossing and took a shot. The engineer quickly shut his headlight off.

There is an old wives' tale that seems to live forever. Some railroaders have the ages-old notion that a bright headlight will ruin a photographer's
picture. So, in a well-meaning gesture they will dim or extinguish their headlight when they spot a photographer trackside. Of course, the average
photographer wants the headlight on bright for effect. I have no idea when or how this notion got started, but it will probably never die!

I waited for the engineer to put his headlight back on bright so I could get a shot. As I rose my camera he snapped it back off. This was repeated a
total of 3 times. With the now assured knowledge that there was no well-meaning gesture involved here I left the scene. It was a crummy day, anyhow.
I went down the road to the little berg of Pisgah and set up my tripod for a telephoto action shot with a grain elevator for background detail. The
train rolled by and I got 2 more shots. Just as this train passed over the main crossing the engineer must have spotted me off to the side.
Evidently he was still playing his peek-a-boo games at 40+ MPH...

1. & 2. BNSF 9170 sitting at west Jacksonville, IL while the conductor walks forward to open the switch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/12 12:08 by santafe199.

Date: 11/11/12 11:58
Re: Peek-a-boo at Pisgah
Author: santafe199

3. BNSF 9170 rolling over Pisgah Rd. crossing in Pisgah, IL.

4. BNSF 9170 just past Pisgah Rd. crossing.
(all photos taken November 5, 2012)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 11/11/12 12:22
Author: fbe

There are Photoshop solutions to the headlight problem. I use these to keep crews who forget to turn the ditch lights back on from getting into hot water with images I might post.

Sample the colors in theheadlights of you last images and paint that value into the darkened areas of the dark lights. There is enough variation in the real lights close is generally good enough.

It keeps you from getting cranky, never a good thing for retirees.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 11/11/12 15:55
Author: SD45X

Feel the love! LOL

Date: 11/11/12 17:40
Author: ats90mph

Some are under the impression that killing the headlight screws up the photo, which is why some do it...

Don't know the intentions of this one...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds