Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Monday Meets: Kenefick, KS

Date: 11/12/12 02:59
Monday Meets: Kenefick, KS
Author: santafe199

Sometimes it's the unexpected things in this crazy hobby called railfanning that can turn an average day into an extraordinary one. I was killing some
afternoon time before giving an evening presentation for the Topeka, KS chapter of the NRHS. I caught an unexpected meet between an eastbound coal load
& a westbound manifest at a lonely rural NE Kansas siding that just happens to be named after a well known & well respected Union Pacific president.
Between the 2 tiny bergs of Grove & Delia is situated Kenefick siding, named after John C. Kenefick; UP president from 1971 to 1986. I was expecting only
eastbound traffic as this mainline segment is part of the directional traffic pattern between the crew change points of Marysville, KS & Kansas City.
Normally westbound trains utilize the former Missouri Pacific mainline between KC & Hiawatha, KS, then the former UP "St. Joe" branch from Hiawatha west
to Upland, KS, where it rejoins this mainline into Marysville.

At the rural crossing at NW 86th St I had anticipated shooting the eastbound coal on the main (across the siding) which gave me a good angle to work with
a slightly back-lit situation. But when I realized the coal train was nosing into siding I knew I would have to alter my plan. The sound of a horn approaching
from the southeast forced me to make a choice. I opted for the chance to shoot a meet between a dark-side coal train & a well-lit nose of the westbound manifest.
But when the coal train easily got to the crossing first I knew that shot was gone, and I was now cut off from my car, which prevented me from running to another
location further to the NW. I set up my tripod & telephoto hoping for the best. I got a distant shot of the 2 engine consists meeting a ways east of my spot and
both trains were now slowing down. Then I noticed sunlight was flashing on the nose of the WB between the coal hoppers. I tried to time my long telephoto shots,
and on the 3rd try I nailed the westbound nose in full sunlight!

I felt very satisfied and I didn't even mind when both trains came to a complete stop, keeping me from getting back to my car for about 12 more minutes...

1. UP 5986 on a WB manifest rolling up the main at Kenefick (siding), KS.

2. The 5986 is eclipsed by the shadow of UP 5858 on an EB coal load easing down the siding.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/12 03:04 by santafe199.

Date: 11/12/12 03:00
Re: Monday Meets: Kenefick, KS

3. Starting to lean into the curve, the 5986 is caught fully lit in a flash of sunlight between the aluminum coal hoppers.

4. The 5986 finishes that classic lean and gets on with the business of meeting the coal train.
(all photos taken November 9, 2012)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 11/12/12 05:34
Author: SCKP187

Nice Lance. A nice tribute and I always like to mention Mr Kenefick was trainmaster in Salina as one of his first assignments. Thanks for showing the photos
Brian Stevens

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/12/12 07:05
Author: dougd

Sequence photos are my favorites-- One photo rarely expresses the true action, and videos dont give the detail stills can.

You've caught a meet with excellence Thanks!

Missing are the background mountains--oh, you're in Kansas!

Date: 11/12/12 07:30

dougd Wrote:

> Missing are the background mountains--oh, you're
> in Kansas!

Well, ya know... somewhere out west we have Mt. Sunflower. Never been there, but I hear it's a pretty strenuous 3 minute stroll.
I've also heard it suggested you at least wear some sturdy flip-flops... ;^)

Lance

Date: 11/12/12 12:46
Author: nwkrailfan

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dougd Wrote:
>
> > Missing are the background mountains--oh,
> you're
> > in Kansas!
>
> Well, ya know... somewhere out west we have Mt.
> Sunflower. Never been there, but I hear it's a
> pretty strenuous 3 minute stroll.
> I've also heard it suggested you at least wear
> some sturdy flip-flops... ;^)
>
> Lance

Flip-flops...oh, and make sure ya got that oxygen tank ready...that change in elevation REALLY hits ya! :-P Good stuff today, Lance!

Date: 11/12/12 13:46
Author: SP8595

Fantastic series, pic #3 is it for me! UP 5986 was on the MKSNP-09 and UP 5858 on the CNAWX-08

Date: 11/13/12 08:39
Author: Milw_E70

Did someone mention flip flops??

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds