Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Grantville derailment scene 3 days early?

Date: 11/13/12 07:31
UP Grantville derailment scene 3 days early?
Author: santafe199

I heard the news this morning on TV channel 13 about last night's derailment at Grantville, KS. In a follow-up to the post by "rich6000" last night, Rich can
you or anyone else confirm which house was involved with the piece of debris flying through that child's bedroom window? I'm thinking it's the house at this
intersection of Front & Wilson Sts which is the easternmost of the 2 crossings with the UP in Grantville. I've shot at this crossing numerous times, as have
all Topeka area railfans.

I've often wondered about the peril this house would be in if a derailment were to happen here. I'm not trying to be morbid. But a RR career of having safety
preached at me & my fellow employees (rightfully so) makes me always consider 'what-ifs' whenever I'm trackside with a camera. I just happened to record this
coal train, in part from the front yard of the very same house 3 days before last night's derailment (if this is the house in question).

This is a very spooky close-call, and I am relieved to hear nobody was hurt.

1. Looking north at the UP/Wilson St crossing in Grantville, KS.

Date: 11/13/12 07:33
Re: UP Grantville derailment scene 3 days early?
Author: santafe199

2. UP 5899 passes safely by a house (out of frame off to the right) at the corner of Wilson & Front Sts.
A scene that has been repeated tens of thousands of times in the past.

3. Coal hoppers in motion eastbound (to the right).

4. UP 7133 is the DP unit for the 5899. Taken across the front yard of the house in the corner of Wilson & Front Sts.
(all photos taken November 9, 2012-3 days PRIOR to the derailment)

Thank God for that child's good luck!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/12 07:35 by santafe199.

Date: 11/13/12 08:12
Author: rich6000

I just don't for sure Lance but that house your thinking about is also the house that came into my mind as well.

Date: 11/13/12 08:26
Author: mapboy

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...Thank God for that child's good luck!
> Lance Garrels
> santafe199

My late uncle told me years ago about a station agent's daughter on Beaumont Hill who was on the platform playing when a train popped a knuckle that slammed against the station wall. She yelled out, "Papa, the trainmen are throwing things at the station!"

mapboy

Date: 11/13/12 09:25
Author: bnsfsd70

I was just there, and the house is not on a corner. Not much to see with the house; just a window with a piece of plywood covering it.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/13/12 09:55
Author: ddg

Just heard about it on the noon news. They said a piece of rail penetrated the house and hit a bunk bed with a child sleeping in, but not injured. They did say there was one injury of some type, but didn't say who.

Date: 11/13/12 09:57
Author: WichitaJct

About 10 years ago the BNSF derailed a coal train at Oreapolis, Ne. The tracks run right next to road there, and I mean right next to the road. Just across the road was a house. One of the derailed cars hit the propane tank by the house, ruptured it, and set the house on fire. I think the family was home, and everyone got out OK. I like trains, but I'd like some distance between my house and the tracks.

Date: 11/13/12 10:08
Author: rich6000

There was an incident that happened back in 05 not derailment related. They were rail grinding in Topeka,KS around MP 67 a piece of grinding wheel came of went through that house that sits behind Porubsky,s.

Date: 11/13/12 17:30
Author: howeld

Didnt a engine Cylinder go though the roof of a house a year or so ago?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds