Home Open Account Help 394 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > U.P. coal train on BNSF route in Olathe, KS

Date: 11/21/12 18:40
U.P. coal train on BNSF route in Olathe, KS
Author: JoCoLB

I couldn't resist stopping to take some pictures today of a southbound Union Pacific coal train while it was stopped on BNSF Railway tracks on the Fort Scott Subdivision in Olathe, KS. The train was observed on Main Two about one block north of the Dennis Street grade crossing.

The train was a tad special to me, since it had a patched former Southern Pacific locomotive as the second unit on the head end. I have long been fond of those SP engines. I didn't stick around to see what kind of unit or units were on the rear of the train.

I'm guessing that the train returned to home rails on the U.P. Parsons Sub after reaching Paola, KS, abot 30 miles south of Olathe. The U.P. sends a lot of its southbound traffic south of Kansas City via the BNSF between KC and Paola under a longtime trackage rights agreement.

Seeing the aging SP engine unit causes me to ask: What year was it the SP introduced the "speed" lettering on its locomotves? If I remember correctly, it was in the early 1980s.

Date: 11/21/12 18:43
Re: U.P. coal train on BNSF route in Olathe, KS

Pictures Four & Fives showing SATX car markings. Any details from fellow TO members on this train's originating point and final destimation?

Date: 11/21/12 18:51

Oh, I forgot to mention that the temperature was 73 degrees Wednesday afternoon when I snapped these photos --- not bad for the day before Thanksgiving in any Kansas town. The weather forecasters say it is about to change bigtime on Friay with a daytime high of 41 degrees.

Date: 11/21/12 20:18
Author: TTownTrains

Destination is San Antonio, TX.

Date: 11/21/12 20:37
Author: coach

This photo proves that RR engines should never be yellow. The faded black looks way better than the faded yellow.

Date: 11/21/12 20:45
Author: wesleygreer

Speed-line lettering was introduced in the early-mid 1990's, after the SP was acquired by the Rio Grande.

Date: 11/22/12 18:32
Author: czephyr17

thtinc41ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm guessing that the train returned to home rails
> on the U.P. Parsons Sub after reaching Paola, KS,
> abot 30 miles south of Olathe. The U.P. sends a
> lot of its southbound traffic south of Kansas City
> via the BNSF between KC and Paola under a longtime
> trackage rights agreement.

That is correct. These trackage rights were MKT's entrance to Kansas City, via trackage rights over the Frisco between Paola and Kansas City.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds