Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Last US/Canadian locomotives delivered w/o dynamics?

Date: 11/22/12 14:03
Last US/Canadian locomotives delivered w/o dynamics?
Author: PasadenaSub

I got to thinking this morning what were the last (non-switcher or rebuilt/genset) units delivered without dynamic brakes, since all modern road engines seem to have them.

I figured it had to be in the eighties, and first thought of MoPac's GP50s, or the GP15-1's that were delivered around the same time in '82-'83. And then I remembered the Caltrain F40PH's that arrived in March of 1985, though they were later rebuilt with dynamics.

Then I wondered if CN's orders for dynamic-less SD40-2Ws continued on into the mid-80's. But in looking at my diesel spotter's guide, I believe the answer is Florida East Coast's order of GP40-2s, with the final unit (434) - delivered in December, 1986. These were also the last GP40-2s built by EMD.

Can anyone think of a newer example than 12/86 - on a new framed locomotive from EMD, GE, or M-K/Wabtec, etc?

Rich

Date: 11/22/12 20:13
Re: Last US/Canadian locomotives delivered w/o dynamics
Author: HarborHog

PHL's MP20C/PR20C's? They are built on SD-40/45 frames, if that counts.

Date: 11/23/12 05:19
Re: Last US/Canadian locomotives delivered w/o dynamics
Author: ThumbsUp

Two of Caltrain's F40s, 918 and 919, were built and delivered in 1987, also without dynamic brakes..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0549 seconds