Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > First chase

Date: 11/23/12 12:52
First chase
Author: PALuvR

Not quite sure if four miles would qualify as a "chase". Somehow a chase brings to mind excitement and speed. Pursuing a train for 4 miles at 40, then 35 MPH seems less than a chase. But, gosh, it was my very first one and I have to start somewhere.

The day started out as a trip down to Kyle (MP 201 on the UP Austin Sub) to scout out some new photo locations. ATCS told me that there was a NB holding the main waiting on a SB to take the siding. OK - simple enough. So I headed into downtown Kyle and caught a NB Z-train holding off crossings. Grabbed a shot then proceeded south of town to find some decent locations. What I thought would work actually didn't but I found an 8-10' high berm on the west side of I-35 that had been created by some highway construction. Really pretty neat! Hope they leave it there.

So after 3 NB passed, the SB left Kyle and the pursuit was on. Totally unprepared, I stopped at a couple of previously-used locations between Kyle and San Marcos and grabbed a couple of shots at each one. I didn't "chase" any further south than San Marcos since I wanted a shot of Amtrak 22 leaving San Marcos NB and there also were some SB trains coming off the Lockhart Sub that I was curious about (one was a BNSF from the DS conversations).

So here is my morning.

Mike

1. Pair of SD70M's on a NB Z-train
2. SB MFWSA in the siding at Kyle through the trees
3. 2nd NB was a Manifest/Q-train with UP 3944, 8387, 4034 and 4984 crossing wooden trestle over a small creek

Date: 11/23/12 13:01
Re: First chase

4. Last NB appeared to be an empty grain train with UP 5723, 6306, 7074 (C6044AC) and 5999.
5-6. SB MFWSA leaving Kyle with UP 7033 (another C6044AC), 7841, 9622 and 797 and the excitement began

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/12 13:13 by PALuvR.

Date: 11/23/12 13:05

7. A little further south of Kyle
8. Crossing the Blanco River bridge
9. Coming into San Marcos

Date: 11/23/12 13:11

10. Preparing to head onto Main #2 since Amtrak 22 was at the depot on Main #1
11-12. ex-MP 2297 (GP 38-2 built Feb. 1981)- I apologize for the over-processing on the first shot. A reminder to not jack with the original shots. I always? copy originals to a separate file for editing - just not today.

Date: 11/23/12 13:17

13. SB coal train dead in Centex siding with a nice background.
14-15. Amtrak 22 NB out of San Marcos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/12 13:18 by PALuvR.

Date: 11/23/12 13:21

16. The "Meet". The object in the foreground is the base of a PTC antenna tower which are being found all over Central Texas. Not sure when the installation is scheduled to begin.
17. First car is the "Northern Dreams".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/12 13:30 by PALuvR.

Date: 11/23/12 13:27

18-19. SB BNSF empty autoracks off the Lockhart Sub passing through Jama (MP 213.5) where Main 1 (ex-MP) and Main 2 (ex-MKT) run very close together. Train is on Main 1 having crossed over at UP Jct.

Date: 11/23/12 13:32

The day was cloudy as you can see with the sun occasionally breaking through. Made for less-than-stellar shots for this entire thread. Thanks for your patience if you actually made it to the conclusion of this lengthy thread.

Mike

20. SB Z-train off the Lockhart Sub at Jama. Main 2 is in the foreground
21. See what the sun was doing.
22. NB leaving Jama on Main 2 with SD90/43MAC leader.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/12 13:39 by PALuvR.

Date: 11/23/12 13:35
Author: highgreengraphics

That qualifies as a chase to me. Good job, you made good use of the light you had! === === = === JLH

Date: 11/23/12 14:07

Thank you.

Mike

Date: 11/23/12 14:08
Author: Topfuel

PALuvR:

I'm not familiar with the areas where you did your chase. Do you remember what town that Amtrak coach is located? I don't think I know about that car.

Date: 11/23/12 14:49

Topfuel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PALuvR:
>
> I'm not familiar with the areas where you did your
> chase. Do you remember what town that Amtrak
> coach is located? I don't think I know about that
> car.

The car is located on the north side of San Marcos, TX. There are several more passenger cars on site. Not sure of the name of the facility or what they actually do there. I know there are other TO members more knowledgeable than I.

Mike

Date: 11/23/12 15:32
Author: judahrice

Topfuel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PALuvR:
>
> I'm not familiar with the areas where you did your
> chase. Do you remember what town that Amtrak
> coach is located? I don't think I know about that
> car.

The Coach is in San Marcos TX with a few other pieces of Rolling stock include a CNW Boxcar

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.088 seconds