Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Thanksgiving Trip to Little Rock, Ark.

Date: 11/23/12 22:58
Thanksgiving Trip to Little Rock, Ark.
Author: trainpixsnet

Well, it's been a year since I have been able to make it down to Little Rock to spend the some time with my grandparents and other family---so instead of fighting in line at the malls and stores, I had my younger cousin join me in running around town and get some photos of things that I've been needing to take for some time now. As an added bonus, the weather was great!

Photo 1 - shot of the main locomotive building, including UP4141 on the right side of the image in North Little Rock, Ark. at the Downing B. Jenks Engine Facility.

Photo 2 - shot of the main locomotive building in North Little Rock, Ark. at the Downing B. Jenks Engine Facility.

Photo 3 - I have finally found UP4141, but wasn't in the best spot to get a nice shot. But, at least I got to see her at the Downing B. Jenks Engine Facility in North Little Rock, Ark.

Nathan Chidester
Olathe, KS
The TrainPixs Network

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/12 23:43 by trainpixsnet.

Date: 11/23/12 22:59
Re: Trip to Little Rock, Ark.

Photo 4 - UP6938, a DDA40X, displayed at the entrance to the Downing B. Jenks Engine Facility.

Photo 5 - another shot of UP6938, displayed at the entrance to the Downing B. Jenks Engine Facility.

Photo 6 - Junction Bridge, now a pedestrian bridge, was constructed originally in 1899 by the Choctaw and Memphis Railroad and operated by the Union Pacific Railroad. It carried trains across the Arkansas River until 1984 when its active railroad use ended. The entire bridge is 1,800-feet long, with it's lift span measuring 360-foot long, and approx. 40-feet above the above the water line.

Nathan Chidester
Olathe, KS
The TrainPixs Network

Date: 11/23/12 23:00

Photo 7-9 - Junction Bridge, now a pedestrian bridge, was constructed originally in 1899 by the Choctaw and Memphis Railroad and operated by the Union Pacific Railroad. It carried trains across the Arkansas River until 1984 when its active railroad use ended. The entire bridge is 1,800-feet long, with it's lift span measuring 360-foot long, and approx. 40-feet above the above the water line.

Photo 7 - Looking north towards North Little Rock, Ark. from the top of the stairwell, for pedestrians to use to cross the lifted section of the lift bridge over the Arkansas River, showing a view that a lot of people don't have for truss bridges like this.

Photo 8 - Looking south towards Little Rock, Ark., while standing on the lifted portion of the lift bridge, which is approx. 40-feet above the water level, to allow water traffic to travel under the bridge without any major high restrictions. It was windy up here, but was very neat to see how these bridges worked up close.

Photo 9 - A "artsy" photo of one of the beams of the truss bridge, my cousin, Kyle, was amazed on how many rivets there were on the bridge, and didn't know how they were/are used---after telling him how they worked and how the workers formed them, he pointed and said that this would be a very cool picture, and he was right!

Nathan Chidester
Olathe, KS
The TrainPixs Network

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/12 22:02 by trainpixsnet.

Date: 11/23/12 23:08

Photo 10 - Central Arkansas Transit Trolley #409 heading over the Arkansas River from Little Rock, Ark. towards North Little Rock, Ark. on the Main Street Bridge.

Photo 11 - after making a complete look in North Little Rock, Ark., Central Arkansas Transit Trolley #409 heading over the Arkansas River from North Little Rock, Ark. towards Little Rock, Ark. on the Main Street Bridge.

Photo 12 - after waiting for Central Arkansas Transit Trolley #408 to clear the station stop at the foot of the Arkansas River stop, and heading towards the Clinton Presidential Library, Central Arkansas Transit Trolley #409 crossing the intersection of Markham Street & Scott Street, to cross over the Arkansas River towards North Little Rock.

Nathan Chidester
Olathe, KS
The TrainPixs Network

Date: 11/24/12 10:09
Author: PasadenaSub

A great set of images with a lot of variety of subject matter!

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0615 seconds