Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Azusa Warbonnets-Past & Present

Date: 11/28/12 21:43
Azusa Warbonnets-Past & Present
Author: GRNDMND

Utilizing a shot I posted last week plus one I took today I came up with this combo showing Santa Fe warbonnets rolling westbound through Azusa, CA. In the top image, we have w/b#17 behind five F's taken from the loading dock of the Azusa depot. The date is April 7, 1971. The lower photo is today's Pasadena Local behind GP60M's 125/135 with four cars of corn syrup for Miller-Coors. Yesterday and Monday, the local had two pumpkin GP60M's, so with today's train having the two warbonnets, it was time to head to Azusa to try and recreate the shot from 1971. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite get the same angle, as the loading dock is long gone, as is the siding. That coupled with a trench in front of the depot where the platform used to be, makes getting the same angle nearly impossible. Plus, I'm sure the authorities for both the MTA and Kiewitt would have issues with me in that spot, so the next best thing. Lots of changes since April '71, and lots more to come as the Gold Line extension is constructed and put into service. Thanks for looking in!

KC - thankfully, all of the graffiti covered boxcars were dropped in Pomona

Date: 11/28/12 21:59
Re: Azusa Warbonnets-Past & Present
Author: miralomarail

You did a Great Job of Blending Both images

Date: 11/28/12 22:13
Author: GRNDMND

Thanks Tom!
Just for kicks and giggles, here is the same train, abit earlier following #321 out of Kaiser with some of the marked box cars showing. This shot on the Rcho Cucamonga/Upland border just east of Baker Ave. The longer train would have been nice in the Azusa shot, but the graffiti just turns me off. Glad they are destined for the whse in Pomona.

KC

Date: 11/28/12 22:24
Author: miralomarail

WOW , He had it notched out there, Yes , those Boxcars sure look bad

Date: 11/28/12 23:39
Author: oyw

Awesome thread Kevin, nice work!

Bob

Date: 11/29/12 05:58
Author: PasadenaSub

Nice then and now comparison, Kevin. The quonset hut to the left is a little worse-for-wear, but the warbonnets are still fresh.

Rich

Date: 11/29/12 06:39
Author: SP8595

Awesome to have a Warbonnet on the now picture to compare with the F's in the before shot!

Date: 11/29/12 07:10
Author: 3rdswitch

Awesome comparison, love these. The quansat building in the background has survived nicely as well.
JB

Date: 11/29/12 07:58
Author: DRGW

Very cool post Kevin!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/29/12 12:45
Author: DNRY122

I'm just hoping a few of the Warbonnets will stay away from the paint shop long enough to be photographed with Gold Line electric trains in the same photo.

Date: 11/29/12 17:32
Author: erielackawanna

Very cool.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds