Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > U.P. north-bounder sets out cars at Osawatomie, KS

Date: 11/29/12 17:59
U.P. north-bounder sets out cars at Osawatomie, KS
Author: JoCoLB

Seeing a Union Paciic Railroad train stopped in downtown Osawatomie, KS, ysterday (Nov. 28, 2012), I decided to park the auto, grab my camera and snap some photos of the manifest freight.

Within a couple of minutes, I determined the train was setting out some cars in the Osawatomie switch yard, around a curve south of Pacific Avenue. The train did a reverse move, then pulled ahead, then returned back down a main apparently to retrieve a rear section of cars. After recoupling, the train left town within a short time.

I actually got to photograph two sets of locomotives. There was also a parked empty coal train just south of the Pacific Ave. crossing. There was one patched Southern Pacific engine in the three-unit power consist.

Another "find" during my short railfanning episode was finding a Loram track undercutter parked in a former grain elevator siding on the north side of the downtown business district. The engine was idling but I saw no one around. I have no idea where it had been working on the Coffeyville Subdivision.

Date: 11/29/12 18:03
Re: U.P. north-bounder sets out cars at Osawatomie, KS

Three more pictures from Osawatomie...

Date: 11/29/12 18:09

Picture Seven shows the manifest freight leaving town, headed to Kansas City.

The motor vehicle overpass in the background bears the name Derrick Jensen Overpass. Jensen was a star football player at Osawatomie High in the early 1970s and later played for the Oakland Raiders and made one appearance in a Super Bowl. (Another success story of a guy from a small town with a population slightly less than 5,000.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/12 18:28 by thtinc41ed.

Date: 11/29/12 18:18

I have long been curious about the aging building on the extreme right in the last photo. It almost looks like it is on railroad property and might date back to former Missouri Pacific days. It resembles a section house. It appears it is not in use by anyone at prsent. The old grain elevator was recently torn down. If the structure is owned by the same company that decided to raze the elevator, I can't see why the small shed-like building wasn't also demolished. This is one puzzle I hope to eventually solve

Date: 11/29/12 18:22

Oh, by the way, Derrick Jensen had the honor of riding with the mayor in the first auto across the overpass when it was completed about 27-28 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/12 18:30 by thtinc41ed.

Date: 11/29/12 18:26

Also, why a larger second digit (No. 2) in the patched number on the SP unit? Was some paint dept. guy trying to express some artistry?

Date: 11/30/12 18:09
Author: upkpfan

Larry,
That looks like a ballast cleaner and not a undercutter. Good pics. Thanks for sharing. upkpfan

Date: 12/01/12 10:37
Author: billnict

thtinc41ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, why a larger second digit (No. 2) in the
> patched number on the SP unit? Was some paint
> dept. guy trying to express some artistry?

Guessing the "2" needed replacing and they had that particular "2" laying around the shop...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0571 seconds