Home Open Account Help 168 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Nacco Jct., WY

Date: 12/09/12 11:58
Nacco Jct., WY
Author: lotharb

While watching the Cowboys try to lose another game, it affords me time to review and post pics from my summer travels, and in this case, my day in the PRB. Here's a few from Nacco Jct...one of the busiest spots along the Orin Line.
1&2. UP 5653 and MAXX loads about to cross Nacco Creek, and start on the climb up Logan Hill
3. UP 5981, and an Ex;CNW unit run northbound past the junction. That's the Antelope loadout in the background
Lothar
Corinth, TX

Date: 12/09/12 12:03
Re: Nacco Jct., WY
Author: lotharb

4-6. BNSF 8988 slows for Nacco and its entry into the N.Antelope/Rochelle Complex, while UP 5804 makes an exit and starts the climb up Logan Hill
Lothar

Date: 12/09/12 12:57
Author: TCnR

Thanks for posting the Nacco Jct photos. I've been out there and could not figure out how to photograph that bridge. Never thought of going to the morning side.

Date: 12/09/12 13:59
Author: mcdeo

Any quick map references? In the future, I'd like to spend some time in the Powder River Basin, but need some maps. I know Trains did an article, I thought I had it, but can't seem to find it currently. Thanks for the info.

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 12/09/12 14:07
Author: TCnR

The mines move, older maps are simply obsolete. Google is fairly accurate but even the county roads have been moved in the past few years. The trains article is way out of date, more so than Pentrex.

The Altamont Press Central West Timetable is very helpful, also the Sonrisa Publications Colorado Wyoming Railroad Maps booklet. A friend had spent quite a bit of time in the area through the years, apparently there's been some very significant changes to the local roads. I have been able to do quite well using a Tom-Tom GPS display, but sometimes the road shows as being a few hundred feet away.

Note that the roads that turn-off from SR58 go over a hill or two before they reach the mine areas. Most of those roads have large Corporate signs for the Mine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/12 16:32 by TCnR.

Date: 12/09/12 16:00
Author: highgreengraphics

Good time to be at Nacco. The 'skeeters are thick there in the summertime! === === = === JLH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds